Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im cleaning and rewraping my under hood harness.
When I unwraped the lite/front end side of the harness I found a number of these white and black connections.
Dont have a clue what they are?
They all join two wires togeather, some wires are different sizes, some wires are different colors and some wires are the same color and size?
Any idea what they are?
T.C.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
they are junctions where they either change the gauge of the wire and the colors also to what was needed in that location instead of having the same wire and gauge of wire going to places where the gauge doesn't have to be nearly as large

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Tom:
I thought they may be fuseable links, as I dont know what one looks like and these are rather large for wire connectors?

T.C.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The wires, brown-blue-white-red/pink, go to the voltage regulator, unless they are tied together out of the picture, modification for internal regulated alternator. The pink, looks pink in the picture, is or should be a fusible link.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your'e rite they are all going to the regulator,now one wire adaptor.
Is a fuseable link very flexable?
How do ya tell the difference between links and krimp joints covered with rubber?
T.C.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
A fusible link is a wire. It's not the rubber like connection but the short piece of wire itself. The rubber or newer plastic connections are just the joint.
The link is around 6 inches long and does feel more flexible than normal wire.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John, these are just wire connectors then as none of them are that long or flexable.
How many of the links are in a car?
Where are they?

T.C.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Generically the links are:
A 14 gage fusible link protects the 10 gage battery charging circuit.
A 16 gage link to protect 12 gage unfused wiring. Maybe near horn relay.
A 20 gage link to protect the 16 gage wiring maybe around the idiot light field wiring.
Two fusible links 20 gage protect the ammeter circuit.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
there is a fusable link from the small wire off of your pos batt cable it is brown and is 14 gauge
another is going to your main junction connection of your horn relay (black and 16 gauge)
I don't think there are any more on a 69
unless you have ac
in that case I am not sure

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replys,
Not factory A/C so thats covered with it's own fuses.
I'll check the ones you guy's have pointed out
Thanks T.C.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The red wire in the pic going from the soldered junction to the voltage regulator, from the factory, would have an orange 20 ga fusible link, the third one in John's list. If you have a one wire alternator it's not needed. With a one wire alternator none of the wiring originally connected to the regulator is used.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a kit for a 1 wire alt.
It is a large rubber plug that the regulator wires plug into, then ya just hook up the 1 wire.
I believe it also has an adaptor wire.
Or could I just do away with the regulator wires all togeather?
Then if I fuseable link the two Tom is talking about it sould cover the unprotected curcuts.

Thanks for the help T.C.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts