Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a vintage air sure fit cable operated system in my 69 Malibu with factory air. I have everything in except for the cables. I was wondering if anyone out there has installed one of these systems and can give me some guidance on the best way to reconnect the cables.

In general my cables exit the main controls from the left pointing towards the steering column. The system is on the right so I curve the cables around and with some effort maybe I can get two of the three on. But the cable for the defrost needs to come in from the right and be pointing towards the left to be attached. IN other words I basically need to put two 180 turns in the cable. One at the controls and one at the end of the cable. Seems tricky. I was also wondering if I needed to move/swap any of the default cable positions to other levers because each cable length is different.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind guys I got it all together today. Cables all stay in thier orginal positions on the controls for the record. Was a pain. I think I must have about 20 hours in the vintage air system alone. Everything fit well but its tough and takes time. If your planning on adding one to a daily drive plan on being down for a week.

·
Registered
788 Posts
20 hours Alan? You are doing good, at least double that for me! Glad you got going on the project. Let us know how it works once you get it charged. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well maybe a little longer I was only talking about the under the dash parts. Condensor and compresor is another story. And I like to think I am quick and good at this. Here are a few photos the first two show two of the three cables. They all work fairly smothly even with the angles. Full range to. The last one is a bad picture but it shows the jungle under the dash. Some men don't make it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here's a good laugh for you. Only weeks after I did my ac install I had this

which resulted in this

Oh the joys of a hobby car.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts