Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am somewhat new to the forum, but have owned my '69 Chevelle SS since 1988.

I know there are already numerous posts on there on this - but I have a couple specific questions. Here is my trim tag info:

BODY BY FISHER 1 2
ST 69 13637 BAL268995 BDY
TR 755 57 B PNT
06C B L190811

What I do know:

2 Door Malibu body style
Fathom green exterior
Black bench seat vinyl interior
Car was made in Baltimore assembly plant
Date code I believe means its a third week of June, 1969 build (but that 06C is very tough to read - not stamped very well, and the rivet and that "8" are sorta in the way.)

1) Verify the build date of my car. Can anyone decipher this with the unit number? (or VIN - I can provide that if necessary)

2) I want to verify it was a black vinyl top car.

3) The "L" in the last line. I know there is some speculation on if this verifies an SS or not. The car has the original M21 trans in it - so I am sure it was an SS. Just wanted to add myself as a data point on that speculation.

4) What the heck does that "8" mean standing alone on the tag below the build date? Anyone have something like that on their tag?

5) Does the plant build indicate at all what region of the country the car was initially shipped to? I know the car has been in MI since 1978, but I am trying to track it back further - have no documentation at all to help me out.

Thanks for any info you can provide,

Mike

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I understand my car was assembled in Baltimore.

Just wondering if certain assembly plants typically shipped cars to dealers in certain areas of the country close to them. (to save on trucking/rail costs, etc)

Trying to figure out if my car was originally a MI car, or possibly came from a different state?

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
I see; misread the question. Generally cars are sold regionally if possible for the reasons you site. If it had been in Michigan all its life Baltimore would surely be the closest plant. However, I've seen Kansas built 69s originally sold in Florida too; one would think the Atlanta plant would be closer. Then there are other oddities, neither Framingham or Atlanta built El Caminos, wagons, or convertibles and Atlanta also didn't build 4-dr sport sedans.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dale - makes perfect sense.

Again - great website, glad someone has done all the hard work to make things easier for the rest of us!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
Regarding #3

The speculation on the 'L' is for Leeds built cars not Baltimore. I would not use this as a indicator for your car.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I am confused then. This came right off the website under 1969's built in Baltimore....

"Most non-El Camino body styles have two letters machine stamped after the body date; "B M", "B L"; some have one letter, some have no letter: meaning unknown but many suspect the "L" is indicative of a SS optioned Chevelle. To date, all verified SS optioned cars have the letter "L" and those known to NOT be SS optioned do not have it. This is actively being researched. The letter "B" appears to only be applicable to the sport coupe model."

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
I believe there are discussion of the "L" that include 1969 Baltimore cars but NOT 1970 Baltimore cars - as well as 1969 AND 1970 for Kansas City cars. I know I have several 1969 Baltimore tags and all those verified as SS optioned have the letter "L" (including one verified 69 El Camino from Baltimore).

See notes under Baltimore and Kansas City at http://www.chevellestuff.com/1969/tags.htm (compiled from my own observations and many here on TC). I don't think anyone is declaring any trim tag letters indicate an SS but data are leaning that way.

It does get confusing at times. :)

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
sorry, 70 is what I was thinking. I don't know why :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.