Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm a new member, with a question...what does the OEM throttle cable bracket for a 69 396 Q jet, look like? The one I have, as well as the ones offered as repro and relacement, appear to be the same,
having a bent down tab for the throttle spring,....but the assembly manual shows a 3949071 number of a bracket without the throttle spring tab. From what I gather, the 69 throttle spring is long, and hooks to the hole in the ignition coil bracket. This unused tab just looks wrong.
Thanks a bunch, George

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Hi George,

Welcome to Team Chevelle. Here's a picture of the bracket on my 69 SS396 convertible....it's pretty much an untouched original with 22,000 miles. The assembly manual illustration may have been correct in this case, but they are most definitely not always correct.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
George,i sent a pic to your email address.

I dont know if you can see the bracket well enough to ans your question but maybe the part of the bracket you can see if enough so check it out.

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Bill and Scott, the photos are worth hours and hours of hunting through books and drawings. Team Chevelle is just great. Glad to be a part of it....Thanks again, George:thumbsup:

·
Registered
498 Posts
bill, where your throttle cable goes thru the firewall,which hole is the cable in as there is 2 holes but the assy manuel does not have anything in it? thanks bill

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Here is mine with the part # stamped in it.

hot rod bill: the cable plugs in a square hole just below the washer pump motor.
Note: Not the small square hole next to the small round hole there is a plastic plug that goes in that area.

·
Registered
498 Posts
brad, i know of the area where the square plug is used to block off the unused hole. but i dont know which one is used for the big block or small blk or does it matter? by the way those are great close up pictures of detail,i hope to have mine look like that soon. thanks bill

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Their is only 1 hole that could possibly be for your cable. The one just below the wiper motor all the same BB and SB the only other difference would be the SB or BB cable size and throttle clip on the end for Q-Jet or Holley.

·
Registered
498 Posts
brad, i will look at mine when i put the qjet carb on & new acc cable & see how it looks for no kinks. thanks for the info bill:beers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brad,
A belated thank you for sharing the awsome pix of your car,
seeing that engine at that level of detail gives me a lot to
strive for in my project! George

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts
Thanks, George. Keep working on your car and post pictures of your progress and if you even need help just ask on this site.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Yeah, me too... :D

·
Premium Member
13,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Ok after making me go outside freezing my ass off here you go.
It has part # 6998796

:thumbsup: Thanks Brad.
Should of made one of your bunnies do it. ;)

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Let them get a little chilled..... that could be fun... :D

Take some pics... :yes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts