Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My '69 SS does not have the black plastic cowl vent screens located in front of the windshield. I have seen these screens on a lot of '70 Chevelles. However, I have seen pictures of '69 SS show quality original cars and they also do not have these screens. Should a '69 SS have these? I don't want to buy them if they are not correct for a '69.

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I was missing mine on my 69 when I bougt it I got one from Year One I would think (about99%sure ) They all came with one to keep leaves etc out MIKE

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think this may be one of those some had um some don't things. I know of two (not many)69 SS396 cars mine and a friends, and they do not have them. Both cars came from the 2nd owners and were never messed with. I have talked to people at shows ans they have said they have seen them both ways, and this is on cars that are supposed to be very original. When I was at Pamona last year I saw one SS with it and the car was very original unrestored. It was the only one there with them. We waited for the owner to come around for about an hour, we wanted to talk to him about a number of things the board sitting in front of the car said they were the original owners. The only thing I know for sure is that I did'nt answer your question.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,662 Posts
I don't know for sure, but of the restored '69's I've seen, the air-conditioned cars seemed to have them and non-AC cars didn't. I put them on mine (non-AC) because it looks better and keeps debris,animals, and small children out. von

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
My origional owner '68 did not have them when I got it. But I did find them in pieces at the bottom of the cowl! So apparently they were on the car when it was made. It is a non-ac car. SSuper Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my Malibu with A/C from the original owner(A little old lady from Pasedena) and it dosen't have these cowl screens, hope this helps(doubt it).

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
A friend and I bought Baltimore built Chevelles new in 1969. Neither had cowl screens and neither had air. I have '69 photographs to verify this. Perhaps the more expensive BOP cars had them. We have an original '72 Lemans Sport and it has the screens. As Von said, they are good for keeping debris out. They are easy to install and take out for shows.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.