Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 69 Chevelle and didn't care if it was a SS or not but now I'm puzzled as to what it is. The car is now a 454 4 spd with a 12 bolt rear. It was originally a 396 (previous owner still has this) auto on the column. It has buckets, an SS emblem on the dash that looks original and A/C. It also has power front disc brakes but the steering column is not the SS type. The grille is new but not painted black and the turn signals are on the outter edges of the bumper. The headlight bezels are not painted. It had the SS hood on it when the previous owner got it from his girl friend and he gave it to me. The cowl tag is not on the car since the car was repainted but the previous owner claims to have it and will get it to me. The vin# is 1363796313484 but I believe the 7th digit was accidentally recorded by the prev owner and DMV as a 6 and it looks like a G on the dash. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No sure way to say other than original buildsheet but my opinion: Originally an SS

Other checks:
- 3/8" fuel line?
- Stainless bezels around front park lamps?
- 29"+ horizontal opening in rad support?

As far as I know, there is nothing different about an SS column but, originally, it should have an an SS steering wheel unless the simulated wood wheel was ordered.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
The Chevelle Engineer
Web Site: www.CoreComm.net/~faldrich

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the front bumper has the turn signals in the outer corners doesn't that mean it is a 68 bumper? I thought the 69's all had them to the inside somewhat, inside the "air hole" in the center of the bumper.

Mysterious. Let us know what else you find out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was told the bumper on my car was similar to the 68 because it was a plain malibu. I've also heard others say that GM used whatever leftover parts they had on hand. One guy who had a 69 SS had what looked liked 68 doors and he swore they were original on his early mfg car.
The steering coupler for a big block SS has something like a colar on the top (toward the firewall) and it has a pin through it.
The other thing different on my car is the buckets don't have a place for headrests.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
The following is my opinion only:

It does sound like an SS, though it has a lot of changes. The Buckets without headrests may be out of another car. I am not certain about the steering column thing you are referring to, unless it is the rag joint??

Check the disk brake booster - Is there a small valve thing below the master cylinder and slightly to the side?

Take a look inside the rear quater panels - have they been replaced? If not, look for Malibu emblem holes that may have been filled.

I agree with Fred (the rad dimension was new to me though, cool
) and Rich - I have not personally seen a 68 bumper on a 69 that was known to be correct regardless of build time, though I am certainly not an expert. Do you know the original colour? Get the cowl tag... Good luck, and check this link: http://www.chevelles.com/shop/ss_ident.html

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Supporting all car hobbyists, even those with different cars, is what being a true enthusiast is all about."

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
I was under the impression that if the car was originally equiped with A/C, heavy duty radiator, or a big block they all had the same size radiator. If this is the case the fact that this car has A/C would rule out radiator size as a way to check on this particular car. My 71 El Camino, non-A/C small block has the large radiator.

Steve R.

[This message has been edited by Steve R (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
As others have said, the only way to tell is with orginal documentation. There is no telling what may have been altered on this car in the last 32 yrs. It may look original today. If and untill you can find paperwork, everthing else is just speculation. If the guy realy has the original engine, ask if you can check the engine codes and see if they match the VIN. But remember BS runs very deep with these old cars, many will tell big lies or know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about. My advice, never beleive anything the seller tells you unless he can back it up.

A/T with column shift were standard SS items. Only if you ordered (at extra cost) a console did you get the floor shifter, console was never standard on a SS from 1966 up.

The G is the Assembly plant in Framingham, Mass.

long story but true.....
I know a guy who bought a plain (el cheapo) Chevy truck about 15 yrs back. One day he saw a same color and year Silverado in the wrecking yard rear ended and bought it. He put all Silverado option parts he could on his truck and later traded it in on a new Ford truck. Was not untill the new owner took it to the same dealer who sold it new, that it became known. The new owner sued the Ford dealer (who was snookered), who inturn sued the guy who swaped all the parts. I now the salesman and he lost his job over the mess.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
120 Posts
My buddy just sold a 69 malibu and it had the fornt bumper with the lights on the outside of the bumper.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
Sure, it may have had the bumper with the lights toward the outside, but was it original? Any documentation?
This is probably an SS from what you say, but with so many changes and so much BS involved its hard to tell.
Ron

·
Gold Founding Member
64,430 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1971SS350:
My buddy just sold a 69 malibu and it had the fornt bumper with the lights on the outside of the bumper.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then the bumper had been replaced at some time
Like Rich said 69 park lights were in the air hole in the bumper

to add to what elcamino said about checking the original engine for matching VIN numbers
look on the rear of the engine - above the oil filter, mine are stamped vertically there

If he still has the original engine with the matching numbers, I would sure try to get it from him

On USA built car, this is the only way to prove if it was a true SS or not (without documentation such as build sheet) because in 69 all SS cars had 396 engines and only SS cars had 396 engines

Everything else can be changed or added

There is no difference in the Malibu and SS columns except for the removable flange on the big block steering shaft
Big Block rag joint

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69
14th annual ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals pictures

A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken
spirit dries the bones.

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 08-18-2001).]