Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know the placement and attachment of the negative battery cable for the 69SS. The assembly manual is really unclear where it attaches to the block. The picture shows a bracket on the alternator bracket but does not show actual attachment to the block. I have seen it attached to the bottom bolt of the alternator bracket but that does not look right.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have an all original 69 SS and the Negative battery cable attaches on the block just below the Passenger side head at the front of the block. Just below the forward/outboard exposed head bolt. I also have an original 69 Malibu with a SB and it attaches on the passenger side thermostat housing bolt which is actually a bolt with a stud on top and a nut and washer. As far as I know these are correct. The ss is a stick and the malibu is auto. I don't know if this makes a difference.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I love this topic because I can never get a good answer.
One thing I am certain is that an air or non-air car does make a difference.I believe that 69 small blocks with air have the cable mounted to the alternator bracket, and that the majority of small blocks without air(including my Fremont built 307) have the cable running to the thermostat housing, I say this because the bolts holding the termostat are totally different.One is a regular bolt but the one on the cable side has a nut on top to secure the cable as Woj describes.
The big blocks are different, most connect to the side of the block, again unless it is an air car- then I believe that it connects at the alt. bracket.
Woj,Is your SB air or non? Where was it built?

You guys got me going...

[This message has been edited by MoeMan (edited 05-03-99).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,679 Posts
Most restored big block 69's without air I've seen have the neg. cable bolted to the pass. side head, just below the forward middle head bolt. von

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.