Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my newly acquired ride had 4.11s intalled by the PO. I want to make this ride more freeway friendly, and am considering swapping in a TKO 5-speed. The existing Muncie is a close ratio, with it's tall 1st gear, so I worry that going to a tall rear end gearing will result in poor around town stop-light driveability. Sooo, in order to keep costs down, any suggestions on a budget-friendly trans swap? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Reactions: Brownd3max

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
Why not lose the 4.11 gears and go for a 3.31-3.42 gearing and keep the Muncie?
Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

FWIW,my 1970 Buick GS 455 has an M21 and 3.42 gears and its perfect around town and cruises nice on the highway.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
3.31 and adjust the rear tire diameter to your liking...

Might want to take a 5 or 6 speed for a ride and see if you like them, I never did.. Nothing like a Muncie to me. A wide ratio would be better for your street ride, you could even go with a higher gear (lower numeral) with a wide ratio...

Richmond makes a low first gear 4 speed but I don't think they use the Muncie box... You could run hi 2 series rear end with some of there boxes..

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
I too would rather row a Muncie and lower the gear.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all that replied- I'm thinking now to save major $$ and stick with the Muncie as it does shift sweet. I'm looking at going with 3.31s figuring that will drop the highway rpms about 20%(?) And like 'hydro462' said, can always change the tire's aspect ratio to fine tune if necessary.

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
There is one more way. That would be to get one of the Auto gear (modern day Muncie) M22Z or M23z transmissions and then you can adjust your rear end gear even further to say 3:08 gears. The M22z is exactly the same as your old muncie however the case is superior and I believe the 1st gear ratio is 2.98. The 2nd and 3rd are somewhat your choice and 4th is alwaya 1-1. These new Super muncies allow one to use all their existing components such as shifter etc.
Anyway it is another way to go and didn't know if you were aware the M22z and M23z existed.lf you do a search on them you can find more info.

Reactions: Brownd3max
1 - 9 of 9 Posts