Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been "reforming the rust" on my 69 Malibu for months and things are looking better.

My current problem is that the entire infrastructure that holds the rear seat back and the package tray is gone. It must have been so badly rusted that some caring individual cut it out. It's not time to decide how to fabricate quite a bit of metal.

I'll bet that someone has had to face this and will have advice. Of course I am in over my head.

Also, any pics someone may have that shows this area would be of great help.

------------------
Texas_Tom 69 Coupe in progress

·
Registered
543 Posts
the one thing I want to caution you about is this- that is structural. What I mean is, if you were to get hit from the side she would collapse. I helped a friend do a similar repair on a GTO, welded in some steel bracing under the package shelf and new sheetmetal. hope this helps,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had not even thought about the structural strength. Yes it helps.

Thanks

------------------

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I second the donor car idea. My car holds the record on this board for having the most rust and since I'm insane enough to try and fix it, a donor car with solid metal is the way to go. Cut out more than you need, then trim to fit. If you weld in the new piece real good, I think it'd be as good as new. Take your time, and make sure you seal it up real well so that cancer doesn't come back to bite you in the a$$.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino
Originally was & will be Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top (now black)
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Dual Exhaust
TH-350 - 2.73 Posi Rear - Factory PS, PDB, PW, Tilt, A/C & More
My El Camino Home Page
Other Restorations -1969 Snowco Trailer & 1967 Sears Custom 600 Tractor
Team Chevelle Member #995

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shawn and Fo_ Thanks for your input
I know what you mean about being crazy enough to try to reform the rust on a record setting bucket of rust. But it is really satisfying as you make progress.

I'll take your advice but will have to widen my search for a donor car.

Does anyone out there have a 68-69 coupe you are parting out that you might be interested in cutting up into medium size pieces.

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts