Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I believe I know the answer to this question but just thought I would check. Just acquired 2 new battery cables. They happen to be the spring clamp type from American Autowire. The positive cable has a brown wire on it which I believe is a fuseable link. I believe this fuseable link is supposed to hook to the cable junction box.
Well I don't have the cable junction box. Has never been on my car since I have owned it. In addition I have an AAW classic update kit on my 69 so I believe that illuminates the need for the cable junction box. So are my assumptions correct and should I just clip the link off up at the spring clamp?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Since you have the AAW kit on the car, the main power for the fuse block is coming off of the starters battery post. You then do not need this fusible link wire off of the new positive battery cable BUT you may want to just tie it off and cap the end as you may find a use for it later. By leaving it intact and not nipping it off right at the spring clamp terminal itself, you may keep it more sealed to limit or reduce any corrosion issues from wicking into this cut bare end and getting inside the terminal where the main cable or wire is attached.

It also looks like the AAW kit has a short section of brown wire off of the starter going to the rad wire which then goes to the bulkhead connector and you might make sure this brown wire is a fusible link and it is in place.

Jim

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean, with the installation of the classic update kit the horn relay gets eliminated and they are powered from the fuse box. However in my case I never had the fuseable link so prior to the update kit it must have been powered by some other means.

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim, good idea about not clipping it off. I thought I recalled other cars with the fuseable link just coiled up but wasn't sure as that wasn't my focus at the time. Think I will just coil it up and tuck it out of the way for now.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Jim, good idea about not clipping it off. I thought I recalled other cars with the fuseable link just coiled up but wasn't sure as that wasn't my focus at the time. Think I will just coil it up and tuck it out of the way for now.
If you add any type of add on's you could very well need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts