Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of my '69 Chevelle literature refers to a rear view mirror mounted map lamp as part of the interior lighting group. I've never seen one. Does it actually exist?

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 02-18-99).]

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Got one! In Mar 72 I special ordered a hard loaded Concours wagon with ALL the options I could get including a BB, 4sp and Cowl hood. My ex wife ended up with the car and eventually gave it to our younger son after she basically destroyed it and let it go to rust and ruin. So my son and I have cloned an SS 454 with ALL of the good stuff from the wagon---------------including the map light mirror. And I would bet good money that this mirror is the same as the 69 that you ask about. So, yes, they do exist, even though this is the only one I have ever seen personally. I plan to have the car at the Tulsa meet in Aug if you would like to see it.

------------------

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have one also, Fred. Found the best place to shop for them is in Monte Carlos, and other GM "luxury" A bodies. Do you attend any of the swap meets around Detroit? Every now and then one of those mirrors appears for sale.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have one in my 442, one neat option! They are common in Olds and Buick A-bodies. Just look for them in the yards, I have found many there. From what I have seen the switch comes in either black or gray; does your literature show a picture showing which color a Chevelle uses?

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have one on my 70 El Camino and it seems original. Mine also has a monitor for the windshield washer fluid, and a remote control drivers mirror. I have never seen another one with these pieces. The switch on my mirror is clear plastic.

[This message has been edited by RichF (edited 02-18-99).]

[This message has been edited by RichF (edited 02-18-99).]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Now, the $64 question: Is a map lamp mirror correct for a '69 Chevelle with an interior lighting package?

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 02-19-99).]

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ok Fred, you started it! My 69 has courtesy lights under the dash on both sides along with the standard dome light, is this part of a light option also? Would a trunk and underhood lights also qualify as part of a light package? Hopefully one of our Chevelle Brothers has a dealer sales book that has that information and will share it with us.

·
Registered
119 Posts
In my sales book it lists RPO ZJ9 Lighting,Auxiliary
(A) Ashtray Light
(B) Courtesy Lights
(C) Glove Compartment Light
(D) Luggage compartment Light
(E) Underhood Light
(F) Mirror Maplight
For Convertible-Includes A,D,E&F
For Malibu Sedans,Sport Coupe-Includes A,B,D,E&F
For 300 Deluxe Models-Includes A,B,C,D,E&F

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thanks Mike!! I knew someone was holding the right stuff! Does your book indicate the same options for El Camino models?

·
Registered
119 Posts
My sales alblum has a brochere for El Camino but does not have ordering info like the other models. It does say that auxiliary lighting is availible but does not discribe it. I do have the same info for wagons, Full size, Camaro, Corvette, Nova and Corvair. My book also says that the glove box light was standard on all models except 300 deluxe. Under dash light were standard on convertible models.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to Tom and others. Based on Tom's car, it looks like a '69 Chevelle with ZJ9 should have a map lamp. I have no reason to believe that an El Calimo is different. Guess I'll have to get serious about finding one. Just didn't want to spend time looking for something that's not "correct".

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
Fred: I have one of these mirrors in a '72 Chevelle and it is a bit of a rarity. However, I have seen several of these mirrors in the Olds and Pontiac cars in the local salvage yards. A yard owner told me that these are very common in the pricier models. The problem remains to find one in good condition, with a mirror that is not turning black. (Does any one know of a place that restores these mirrors?)

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
The Jim Osborn reproductions Feature and Specification Manual has most all the info you could ask for regarding options.
Dan

·
Registered
337 Posts
According to GM parts catalog there was a inside rear view mirror with map light available for all 69-72 chevelles and Montes
part# is 911712. So yes a this mirror would be correct for a 69.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.