Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I replaced the column-shift steering column in my 69 with a floor-shift column. While I had the dash apart, I also replaced the dash harness, engine harness, and forward lamp harness with new stuff from M&H. Once re-assembled, everything seems to work fine with the exception of a minor turn signal problem.

The righ-hand turn signal works perfectly. However, when you turn on the left-hand turn signal, the lamp in the front bumper blinks, and the left rear taillight blinks. The front and rear sidemarkers, however, do not blink, and the indicator lamp on the dash does not blink. Does anyone have any ideas about troubleshooting this problem? I re-used the old turn signal switch that was in the used floor-shift column that I bought. Do you think the switch is bad? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The side markers blink on a 69? I didn’t think so but it’s Monday and I’m prone to make errors.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know John, I've been thinking about this, I never did actually check to see if the right hand side markers were blinking because that side is up against the wall in my carport. Since the dash indicator wasn't working on the left, I just assumed there was a problem. You're most certainly correct, the side markers aren't supposed to blink. I wonder if I just dislodged the bulb for the dash indicator when I was pushing the cluster up into place, it's a very tight fit.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well, the same blue wire, out of the turn signal switch, works both the front turn and dash lamp. Almost rules out the switch as a problem. Can’t remember exactly but I think the dash lamp blue wire is tied to the bulkhead connector with the wire from the turn signal switch. Check your schematic on the 69. Later years it tied together at the dash lamp. Because you replaced the harness there’s always the possibility of a bad connection at that junction.
You are right. Check the simplest thing first…the turn signal lamp.

·
Premium Member
6,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do, thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts