Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we (well, I) go into another discussion on 69 grilles. Apologies for the LONG post, but I’m hoping by describing all the facts, someone who has encountered this problem has a proper solution for me. I’m doing a complete, and correct, restoration on my 69 that I purchased new. Not an SS, but I want my car, and I want it right.

First off, I do know about the GM issued “300” grille available from various sources, with no holes pre-drilled on the center bar. That one does not permit proper installation (after drilling) of the Malibu molding since the center section horizontal bar (silver) of the is deeper front to back than the correct Malibu and SS grilles and pushes the clip on molding too far forward.

That leaves two other grilles, both reproductions, available from all vendors. One has no holes pre-drilled and that is the same as the GM grille, so the problem with the center molding is the same. The other is pre-drilled, and that works, molding wise.

However, the issue (for my stock restoration) is the fact that the dozens of horizontal slats on the two reproduction grilles are painted entirely in Black (top, bottom and forward facing edge), thus being “correct” for SS models, but incorrect for Malibu’s. Malibu’s had the forward facing edge of the slats in the same silver as the other silver sections of the grille.

I’ve yet to find a reproduction grille that has the proper coloring on the forward edge. Since my old grille has broken slats and is not repairable, I tried a few types of Sharpies One is the regular Silver marker, the other is their Silver paint marker. A steady hand on some test sections of the old grille, forward edges, produced crisp coloring, but the end result is a silver that is too bright (due to the metallic in the compounds) compared to the rest of the OE silver on the other areas of the grille.

Assuming my painter could match the correct silver (and he is very wary about that), that would still require the patience of Job to attempt to mask off the slats in a repro SS grille. Then there is always the issue of bleeding under the edges of tape.

Before attempting anything like that, has anyone found a product and a way to paint these slats in a color closer to the OE silver ?

Apologies again, but this is the website where these kinds of questions do get results !

Thanks,

Viz

·
Registered
202 Posts
Viz, if you are doing a correct resto. I would check Ebay.

I see OEM grilles on there all the time that state that they are for SS when they are not as I am looking for a correct SS grille for my EC.

However, be prepared to pay some significant $$ for the OEM parts as obviously there are not many left.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ifly, thanks. Yeah, I've been scouring eBay but nothing has popped up yet. (Although for less than a day, there was an NOS one for $1500 !!!!).

Viz

·
Gold Founding Member
63,027 Posts
Before I learned better :clonk: and bought a 69 deluxe grill I masked off and painted the fins with argent silver, then I found out that was wrong for an SS and had to do the re-paint.

But.it still has the deluxe grill with no real chrome piece on the center bar but nobody has ever mentioned it (not that I could hear anyway) and the correct grill that I finally found at a swap meet is still up in the garage shop attic waiting to be installed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Before I learned better :clonk: and bought a 69 deluxe grill I masked off and painted the fins with argent silver, then I found out that was wrong for an SS and had to do the re-paint.

But.it still has the deluxe grill with no real chrome piece on the center bar but nobody has ever mentioned it (not that I could hear anyway) and the correct grill that I finally found at a swap meet is still up in the garage shop attic waiting to be installed.
So Dean, how painful was it to mask (since that is likely what I'll have to do). Many, many hours eh? Did you get any bleeding under the tape edges? Did you use rattle can argent silver, and how was the match ?

Viz

1 - 6 of 6 Posts