Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1969 Malibu - not SS. I'm the original owner, almost finished with full body off restoration. Everything is being done to original, no skimping.

My original grille is shot. The 3 choices of grilles out there (repro SS type, with fully black horizontal slats; Original GM with no holes in center bar; repro of Original GM) won't fit my needs for original appearance. The Original GM, and the repro of same, will not allow proper fit for the center molding (discussed here many times). The repro SS type would have to be painted silver on the forward edge of the horizontal slats to look correct for my car.

I have NOS left and right outer grille extensions. Here's my problem and question. I would need to paint the forward slats on the blacked out SS grille as mentioned above. The paint would also have to match the silver on the grille extensions, or at least be very, very close, so as not to stand out as different. I don't want to paint the NOS ones to match whatever paint I can find, I want the grille paint to match the extensions.

So fellow enthusiasts, has anyone tried this, and found an acceptable paint that matches the OE silver ?

·
Gold Founding Member
63,029 Posts
Argent silver, the same color that was used on the 69 Malibu lower panels is the color to paint the grill "forward slats"
If it doesn't match the grill extensions, you could always paint them also.

Way back in 85 or 86 when I didn't know about the differences in the grills, I painted the silver on the fins for my 69 SS and later when I found out it was wrong for an SS, I had to repaint them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I presume the Argent Silver would be flattened down a bit from how it appears on the lower body panel?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, here's another interesting "how the factory did it" situation. As I closely examined my original grille (which may be salvageable after all), I noticed that, when looking from the front, from the top down (as if you were standing in front of the car), the horizontal slats are silver not only on the leading edge, but on the top, flat portion. When I turned the grill over, looking at it from the bottom up, the bottom side of the horizontal slats are black !!! It appears the black was painted after the silver, as the overspray is definitely black going up on the vertical fins.

So my new question is, should the Malibu grille slats be black or silver on the flat, horizontal "topside' surface, as the leading edge is, or should the slats be black with just a silver leading edge?

Anyone with a Malibu (not SS) running their original grille ?

Viz

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
I believe my Malibu grille is original. It's silver on the leading edges and top of the fins but dark gray or black on the bottom of the fins.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe my Malibu grille is original. It's silver on the leading edges and top of the fins but dark gray or black on the bottom of the fins.
Thanks Von. That makes it more of a challenge to paint either a repro or mine, but at least now I know ! Appreciate the reply

Viz

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I was mistaken. I was looking at the grille again and realized that my first comment that stated the top of the slats was silver was because I was looking at the grille upsdie down. So, in reality, the bottom of my horizontal slats are silver and the tops are black. And no, I hadn't had any beers yet when I first looked at it.

No I'm really confused with mine being different than yours.

Viz

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
That's for an SS. All blacked out except for center and upper bar. All fins totally blacked out.
I was wrong. That grille is for a 300 Deluxe. It doesn't have holes for mounting a center molding or emblems as the SS and Malibu grilles do. The center molding on this 300 Deluxe grille is "built-in" and painted silver. No provision for a center molding to be added.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts