Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for the original owner and other previous owners of my Burgundy Maroon 1969 L78 Chevelle, VIN 136379B39778X. It was sold new in the Huntington WVA area (perhaps at Dutch Miller Chevrolet) in late summer or fall of '69. The original owner had it up for sale in 1972 at a gas station in Huntington, according to a Huntington man (Joe G.) who owned the car in the 1990's. He said the car came factory equipped with the aforementioned L78 engine, M22 trans and 4.10 posi rear. The car also came with black bench seat interior. It was known to have been raced during the 1970's and perhaps the 1980's.

Thank you.

Reactions: SKIS69SS

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Two days ago I was surprised and pleased to receive a private Team Chevelle message from the man who purchased my 1969 Chevelle SS new from Dutch Miller Chevrolet in Huntington, WV, back in the fall of 1969.

We have had limited opportunity to communicate since then as he has been extremely busy cutting and baling hay on his Ohio River Valley cattle ranch located a few miles from Huntington. He promises we will talk more when he gets the time. He forwarded a photo of himself standing beside the car (dated 1970) and confirmed that the Chevelle came equipped with the L78 396/375 engine (which I have), M22 4-speed transmission and 4.10:1 positraction rear axle.

It all appears legitimate at this point. Thanks to all who read my posting and checked out leads in the Huntington and nearby areas.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congratulations, maybe the guy still has a few of the original docs stashed away in a file cabinet.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations, maybe the guy still has a few of the original docs stashed away in a file cabinet.
I would love that, as Dutch Miller Chevrolet has told me they destroyed all their old records a year or so ago. Dale McIntosh has already verified the authenticity of the car, as it is listed on his L78 registry, but any original documents would be icing on the cake.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
/Users/ole/Desktop/Chevelle Quadruple Size.jpg

Bernard A., the original owner of my 1969 L78 SS 396 Chevelle. Photo was taken in 1970 in Huntington, WV.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
So how did the original owner come to find out that you were seeking him?

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So how did the original owner come to find out that you were seeking him?
He told me on the telephone this morning that he had followed his car through different owners in the Huntington, WV area for several decades, wishing he hadn't sold it and almost buying it back once when it was up for sale. Even when it finally left the area he continued to look for it amongst the cars that came up for sale on eBay and other websites. He had heard from somewhere that the car had been sold and shipped to Washington, so when he saw a photo of it on a posting of mine on Team Chevelle he contacted me by private message.

Reactions: b&b's69

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Love the mud gaurds, was the side stripe Red? Did it come with white side wall tires?

Dan

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Love the mud gaurds, was the side stripe Red? Did it come with white side wall tires?

Dan
I laughed a bit when I noticed the mud guards, remembering that many guys added them back in the day. Mud Guards also kept the rock chips down for guys who traversed gravel roads and driveways.

I didn't ask the original owner what tires it came with. The tread on the pictured tires doesn't look like Firestone Wide Oval or Goodyear Polyglas, and there doesn't appear to be any whitewalls or white lettering.

Factory side stripe was red.

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is a photo taken of my '69 SS last summer before I purchased it. The car will soon hit the road again with a rebuilt/balanced JD-coded L78 replacement engine (numbers engine is on a stand in my shop), rebuilt M22 trans, all new steering, suspension and brakes, new wiring, new black bench seat (Code 755) interior and much, much more. It will not be a garage (or trailer) queen as I plan to drive it to numerous NW cruises and shows this summer.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
Nice to see another Burgundy Maroon 69. Beautiful.

Congrats on the choice to restore the interior the way it ought to be! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
beautiful car! Great pic of the original owner!!!
Thank you, Ben. I appreciate the compliment. The body, paint, glass and trim were very nice when I bought the car. Much of the rest of the car was in need of serious attention (and, of course, some serious $$$). I will be proud to display it when finished in a couple of weeks. See you at some NW shows!

·
Premium Member
2,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice to see another Burgundy Maroon 69. Beautiful.

Congrats on the choice to restore the interior the way it ought to be! :thumbsup:
Yes, I could never understand how people can change interior colors or make otherwise major modifications to a mostly original, numbers-matching car. I spent today installing door panels and carpet. Seats are next. Dash pad and headliner appear to be original.

I enjoyed paging through your restoration. An absolutely stunning Burgundy/Maroon '69 to say the least!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts