Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
If a guy did buy it at the asking price, lets hear some opinions as to what the final cost would be to make it a very nice restoration.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was curious to see how this thread progressed, as it's hard to get feedback on a car for sale sometimes. Last time I listed it here on WIW, I had lots of people that wanted it to buy it, but no one offered any ideas on value and everyone wanted it for a song.

Since I'm the guy selling the car, I'll offer my math on how it works. Whether or not it sells for the asking price, a fair offer or not at all is yet to be seen. But, here's how I put my restoration budget together.

Final paint and Body prep $10,000 (outsourced)
Needed GM engine components (carb and distirbutor) $3,500
Miscellaneous refurb parts - suspension, detail parts, etc... $10,000
Quick engine fluff (runs strong - hydraulic cam replacement) - $1,500

These figures take into account that one is willing and able to do all the work, except for paint. Obviously if you can do the paint work, your budget improves dramatically.

Reality - When I bought the car I paid $19,000 (6 years ago) - It ran and drove, but wasn't really presentable. It had a bad repaint and happy hour body work, so I opted to get the body part of the project stated while I had the money (maybe not the best choice in hindsight).

The NOS body parts were fairly pricey right around $4,500. I'm not a body guy, so I had the wheelhouses and quarters done professionally, along with some other needed fixes in the windsheild area and the rockers. That work ran my total to right around $30,000 (give or take).

The asking price is $30,000. Would I entertain offers? yes. I haven't seen a real L78 car trade hands for less than $30,000 in the last 5 years (project or otherwise).

Blair

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Thanks Blair. The figures you have are almost exactly what I was thinking. When it is done, it will be a great car. Good luck with the sale. I had a few guys ask me about selling them mine. When I gave them a price, it was "too much, not in my price range, I was hoping to steal it" responses.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was curious to see how this thread progressed, as it's hard to get feedback on a car for sale sometimes. Last time I listed it here on WIW, I had lots of people that wanted it to buy it, but no one offered any ideas on value and everyone wanted it for a song.

Since I'm the guy selling the car, I'll offer my math on how it works. Whether or not it sells for the asking price, a fair offer or not at all is yet to be seen. But, here's how I put my restoration budget together.

Final paint and Body prep $10,000 (outsourced)
Needed GM engine components (carb and distirbutor) $3,500
Miscellaneous refurb parts - suspension, detail parts, etc... $10,000
Quick engine fluff (runs strong - hydraulic cam replacement) - $1,500

These figures take into account that one is willing and able to do all the work, except for paint. Obviously if you can do the paint work, your budget improves dramatically.

Reality - When I bought the car I paid $19,000 (6 years ago) - It ran and drove, but wasn't really presentable. It had a bad repaint and happy hour body work, so I opted to get the body part of the project stated while I had the money (maybe not the best choice in hindsight).

The NOS body parts were fairly pricey right around $4,500. I'm not a body guy, so I had the wheelhouses and quarters done professionally, along with some other needed fixes in the windsheild area and the rockers. That work ran my total to right around $30,000 (give or take).

The asking price is $30,000. Would I entertain offers? yes. I haven't seen a real L78 car trade hands for less than $30,000 in the last 5 years (project or otherwise).

Blair
Blair
Thanks for your expaination on your pricing rational. The figures you sited were what stirred my curiosity with the asking price and what it would take to finish your car vs. a final value when completed.
I hope no offense was taken with me asking the question. I must appoligize that I didn't know you were a member here when I started this thread.
Dave

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks Guys. I'm not offended, but want the car to get a fair shake.

Life takes lots of strange twists and my family grew by one last year. She's the priority now, so we're headed a different direction for the time being.

It is a project, but one of the coolest cars I've ever owned. If I only had another $25K in my pocket right now.

Like I said, I'll entertain offers, but am not going to give it away considering it's paid for and is in climate controlled storage.

Thanks,

Blair

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I believe you overpaid for the car but it makes no difference to what is worth now. I would think (given the limited pictures) that it should sell in the $14K-$16K range as it sits now. It still needs a lot of work and the market is very flat right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the input.

Frankly, if you find a L78 #'s matching 95% complete with docs project car for $14-16K let me know, as I'd probably be willing to overpay for that one too.

Blair

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I believe you overpaid for the car but it makes no difference to what is worth now. I would think (given the limited pictures) that it should sell in the $14K-$16K range as it sits now. It still needs a lot of work and the market is very flat right now.
Thanks for the input.

Frankly, if you find a L78 #'s matching 95% complete with docs project car for $14-16K let me know, as I'd probably be willing to overpay for that one too.

Blair

I think the 14-16K is way low for this car but I also think the 30K is high. It's easy to get upside down in a car and most of us do. It does still need a bit of work and for the car to value out in the end it has to be done right with the right parts. I believe the estimates to finish the car correctly are low. I'd say 22-24K is realistic and I think it will sell at that price fairly fast. I see a lot more going into the engine and the rest of the drivetrain to rebuild it all. I don't know the condition of the frame and underside and I assume it needs work there too. It's a great car - if I had it I'd keep it for sure regardless of value, profit, or circumstance. Good luck with the sale Blair.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I think the 14-16K is way low for this car but I also think the 30K is high. It's easy to get upside down in a car and most of us do. It does still need a bit of work and for the car to value out in the end it has to be done right with the right parts. I believe the estimates to finish the car correctly are low. I'd say 22-24K is realistic and I think it will sell at that price fairly fast. I see a lot more going into the engine and the rest of the drivetrain to rebuild it all. I don't know the condition of the frame and underside and I assume it needs work there too. It's a great car - if I had it I'd keep it for sure regardless of value, profit, or circumstance. Good luck with the sale Blair.
What he said!!!:yes::yes::yes:

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
The way things are currently. 30K is going to be a tough sell. I agree with the low 20s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts