Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked everywhere with no luck, I sure hope someone can help. I'm not sure what this piece is called but there are about 4 or 5 metal pieces that actually screw into the inside edges around the rear window. These pieces I'm assuming are what possibly some type of trim or the headliner attaches to?. I'm not sure as my 69 chevelle was pretty much stripped when I bought it. I'm missing one of the above pieces and really have no idea where else to turn for help.?? Hooked up with a couple of folks from this site about year ago but never heard back.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,039 Posts
I think the piece that goes around the rear window is not metal but a flexable vinyl piece that the head liner tucks under.
There is one metal bar accross the bottom but it is non removable and there are two plastic pieces at the two top corners.
I'm doing this from memory (yeah right, what memory)I'll look mine over tomorrow and see if I can add more

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dean thanks for reply, I have all but one of the pieces that I'm talking about. The ones I have are metal and were screwed in around the insdie of the rear windshield. I have a photo but not sure how I can send that. These pieces look like maybe some type of plastic trim attaches over them?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Dusty, I think you are asking about the metal strips that have a sawtooth shape on one edge. These screw to the body before the headliner goes in. The headliner is then wrapped around them and the points catch and hold the fabric. They may have used cement as well. To finish it off, there is an extruded plastic trim that pushes onto the edge of the metal strips and hides the edges of the headliner. You can probably scavenge these pieces from any GM A body car from '68-'72. Other GM's may have it as well.
Rich

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RT, thanks you described them perfectly. I'll look around not many yards in area with older cars..Thanks..

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Dusty, one more thing. I remember reading somewhere that the back glass from a '69 (maybe other years too) Grand Prix fits a '69 Chevelle, so the interior trim may be the same as well. The reason I'm saying this is because some cars, for example an Olds Cutlass had a different shaped back glass, so the trim parts may have a different curve. Of course if you have an old piece or can at least take a template of what you need you can hold it up to the ones you might find in the yards. BTW, where is Horseheads?
Rich

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RT, Horseheads is in Upstate NY not to be confused with NY.NY., I'm in the Finger Lakes area about 7 miles west of Elmira, 12 miles south of Watkins Glen and about 120 miles south of Rochester. When people ask I usually tell them it on the better end of the horse

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
one word of advice, be careful messing with that back glass or it will leak. 69's (and most chevelles for that matter) are notorious for leaking and rust around the back glass.
I'd recommend having it re-sealed while you're working on it.

Mine was leaking to the point of where I couldn't wash the car without getting alot of water in the back. I called a restoration shop in my area and asked around for a good glass guy. Found one that came to my house and reset my back glass with a new seal for $50. Find a good private business to do it, not one of those chain glass replacement places. they don't know how to deal with the chrome molding and metal clips on your old car.

good luck,
Brian

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Dusty, Call Sundell's in Slippery Rock, Pa and ask them if they can help you with your needs. The ph # is 724-794-6827. The Spring Carlisle event is coming near the end of April and although it looks like it would be a long drive, if you have additional needs, you may be able to justify the long trip. Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten.
www.clark.net/pub/chevelle/mcc.htm

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chev64, thanks I've been there once about two years ago, about 4 hours one way but well worth it, I'll give them a call. Thanks again..Dusty aka Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts