Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just looked at a 69 with plastic inner fenders.(convertible in hemmings)Did they ever come with these, or are they after-market?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes- '69 one owner Malibu from Fremont = plastic inner fenders. That's the way mine was built.
Try a search on this topic- seems like I remember a very long thread of answers- year by year, where built and what kind of inner fenders were installed.

[This message has been edited by MoeMan (edited 04-25-99).]

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I have 3. All have plastic inner fenders
Dan

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My 69 built in Fremont, CA (Z) has metal inner fender on pass side and plastic inner fender on driver side. My 71 made in Arlington, TX (R) has plastic on both sides (damn things are warped!) and my 70SS from Kansas City, MO (L) has metal on both sides. Metal is much better IMHO.

[This message has been edited by Super70 (edited 04-26-99).]

·
Registered
127 Posts
My 69 SS396 has plastic but, they are broken at the bolt holes. I will be installing metal. I think factory plastic ones look nice but the aftermarket ones don't fit well at all from reading post here. I wish they were still available or the aftermarket ones fit!!

------------------
CRUISER

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 69 malibu convertible also has plastic inner fenders, but they are all busted up around the bolt holes too. For now, i'm keeping these ones, but as long as we're on the topic, what would you all suggest I do as far as replacing them? i/e plastic or steel?

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
My 70 came with plastic and I ordered the plastic replacements and sent them back. They were not even close to matching the old ones. i wound up putting in used metal ones from a 68 El camino and never regretted it. It seemed to stiffen up the front fenders better than the plastic. Philip

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
When you see a mix of metal and plastic inners, this may be a sign on crash damage repairs. I have 2 cars with metal on the left and plastic on the right. Both have been crashed and repaired. So, if you see matching inners, this may be the welcome sign of a car that may not have been smashed.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I've responded to a similar post recently, indicating that sometime in '69 GM seemed to switch from metal to plastic. Another possibility is that there were two different suppliers making these from 69 on - one in metal and one in plastic. I'm not sure, but when I was working in a Chevy parts department years ago, I thought I remembered someone ordering a pair from GM, and getting one plastic and one metal one. The mystery continues...

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 69 chevelle and its a 307 powerglide and she runs like a stallion, never had a problem with her and if she was a real female i think i might like to have some kids with her, in fact io would like to have some kids with her

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've had numerous 69 chevelles and some came with plastic and some with metal inner fenders. Two 69's from Kansas city had metal inner fenders, one from Atlanta had metal inners, one from Baltimore had plastic and I've had two from Framingham, one with plastic and one with metal. Go figure. The metal repros are pretty nice. They are going for about $100 a pop. I've used them and was happy with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.