Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Down to the small stuff now. "Standard" steering wheel, '69SS. I've restored my wheel and center shroud and buttons and all. When I took it apart, the horn didn't work. Easy to see why. The spring that is in the hub was not connected to the wiring harness to the buttons. If I ground the spring, the horn works. I just need to connect the brass thingy that's on the end of the harness to the spring. Does this just sort of 'snap' into the spring or do I need a new one?

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Ok, I guess we'll discuss our things. The brass plunger, that sticks out of the turn signal switch, is not removable. It has a spring below it and should freely move. If this brass plunger is the "thing", I don't think it is repairable. If you are trying to connect to the horn ring, there's a plastic piece that goes on top of it that engages with the two ears.
Don't think I described that too well, but maybe getting closer.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try again. The wheel is still on. There is a plastic tube, which I assume is a part of the turn signal switch. Inside this 'tube' is a spring, doesn't seem to want to come out and is flush with the upper end of the tube. If I ground this spring to the center shaft, the horn honks. The buttons that attach to the center hub cover, I call this the shroud, and it carries the two buttons and the SS emblem, anyway the buttons have black and white wiring that all ends at a brass fitting that is about 1/4" in diameter and maybe 3/8" long and has a very tiny lip at the end opposite the wiring exit. It almost looks like this would 'catch' up in the spring if I forced it. I guess I'm asking, do I have all the parts? and if not what am I missing?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I see what you are saying (maybe). The turn signal switch itself is OK. The tube portion with the spring is what attaches to the horn ring. Grounding that spring makes the horn work.
What I am used to seeing, on the standard models, is a wire coming out of the top side of the tube. It's attached to a contact that's between the top of the spring and the tube (inside the tube). Has a ¼ X ¼ ? clip on the other end of it that attaches to the horn area of the steering wheel button area. Some wheels have 2 buttons so there are two clips.
Am I getting closer?

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's it. Except I don't know what you are refering to as the 'horn ring', probably the plastic cover that carries the buttons. Anyhow, last night I looked into it again. The wires come off of the two buttons and go to a brass terminal, then.. for lack of a better word, 'floating' on the wires, and touching the terminal, is a nylon sleeve that looks like it may snap into the tube coming from the turn signal switch. This would hold the brass against the spring, wires woulb be coming out of the tube to the contacts, and all would work. If that's the case, I'm done. I won't know till I get my Amp meter (Battery gauge) back from repair and put it all back together. I'm just trying to get it all lined up so I can finish.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Try "canceling cam" for a better word. The ring I referred to is that round ring of copper (bottom side) that contacts the ground plunger coming out of the turn signal switch.

"Anyhow, last night I looked into it again. The wires come off of the two buttons and go to a brass terminal, then.. for lack of a better word, 'floating' on the wires, and touching the terminal, is a nylon sleeve that looks like it may snap into the tube coming from the turn signal switch. This would hold the brass against the spring, wires woulb be coming out of the tube to the contacts, and all would work. If that's the case, I'm done."

Yeah there's a tube coming up. The sleeve goes on the tube and is held together by the two little plastic tabs or ears. A half twist installs it and holds the two parts together with the spring inside. Sounds like you have it covered.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's it, except the wire coming out of the tube is loose and hanging from the two clips at the buttons. I'm thinking that the wire and brass end and nylon sleeve press in from the top all will be OK. I'll keep you informed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts