Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys here at work has a 69 SS and the horn blows all the time. He has the horn un plugged now but when you plug it in, it starts to blow and won't stop. I think he tried a different relay and it didn't help. Any suggestions.

------------------
Tom Hendricks ACES# 4542
69 Lemans Blue L78
70 SS 396 White with Air
72 Duntov Malibu 400
65 Corvette Convertible
73 Corvette Coupe
96 Impala SS
95 HD FXSTC
The Rat cellar

·
Premium Member
27,725 Posts
Tom, I don't know if this will help but just from my personal experience...my Elky horn would blow whenever hooked up. Found out that one of the philips head screws (3 total) that hold down the plastic retaining ring under the horn button on the steering wheel had come out and was shorting the horn circuit. Returned the screw to its original position, and things work fine.

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
'67 El Camino "SS"
'80 Camaro RS Vortec
'68 Corvette L-79

'67 El Rat
'80 Camaro RS

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill. We'll give it a whirl ! Although the 69 has different style horn pads it could still be in that part. We haven't started to tear into it yet.

[This message has been edited by Tom Hendricks (edited 01-28-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you unplug the black wire on the relay, The one that heads back into the harness, the horn should stop. This is the wire Bill was talking about that runs back up to the horn button. With the horns reconnected to the relay, try grounding the relay terminal that you removed the black wire from. The horns should blow. If that happens, Bill has hit upon the problem. Up around the button somewhere. Could be a pinched black wire up there but not normally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts