Team Chevelle banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 69 and i'm not sure what holds up the sides of the headliner. i think it's similar to a 67 with the tach strip underneith and the metal trim on the outside but i can't find either parts anywhere. but i also read about putting a headliner in by snapping the sides in with clips but i'm not sure of the year of that chevelle. i need to know the method of installation and where i could get the parts if possible. thanks

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,652 Posts
'69's have metal strips with perforated "teeth" that the headliner sides, front, and rear are glued to. The metal strips are screwed to the body structure. The edges of the headliner are tucked under the edge of the metal strips and a decorative molding goes over the edge of the srips after the headliner is in place. The teeth help hold the headliner in place. The only place I know to get the metal strips is from a donor car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for confirming that, i was pretty sure that's how it was but could u tell me if the decorative molding is plastic/rubber like the front and back windlaces, or if it's metal?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,652 Posts
The front and back molding is vinyl. The side molding, from what I've seen, is metal on Malibus and vinyl on 300 Deluxes.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Von, my 300 Deluxe has metal on the sides. Could the difference be between sport coupes and sedans?

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,652 Posts
Wade, If yours is original, it just blew my theory. Mine is a 300 Dlx Sport Coupe (hardtop) too and it had vinyl. I believe Bow-Tied's 300 Sport Coupe has vinyl also. All Malibus that I've checked (but not that many) had metal. Could've been plant or supplier specific.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could anyone tell me where I could get the side molding for a malibu? I've checked Original Parts Group, Danchuck, Year One, National Parts Depot,and numerous other smaller shops and salvage yards local to southern california as well as online parts search websites.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts