Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm new to this board, so forgive me if my questions are redundant.... I just bought a 69 ElCamino SS396 and have a few questions about it.
How can you determine its a true SS if the original engine is gone? I mean real nitty gritty stuff that cant easily be changed, or that no one would think to change if building a fake...
Ive been reading this book I have called the Chevelle Restoration Guide or something like that, and some of the info is either false, or news to me...
Did 69 El Caminos have the SS side stripe available? Ive seen tons with it, but the book says no...
Also, were these stripes painted or decals? Ive seen used old parts with decal SS stripes still on them, but the book says they were all painted.
was a rear sway bar ever offered on an elcamino SS? Mine has one and looks like its been there for 30 years... book says no.
Was the TH400 offered in Non-SS elcaminos? What about dual exhaust?
Was Monaco Orange or Daytona Yellow offered on the Elcamino SS? Book says no, but my dad swears he knew a guy who bought an orange one brand new in 69...
Speaking of exhaust... did elkys ever have the oval tips, if not, where and how did the exhaust exit?

Sorry so many questions... I'd appriciate answers to any or all of them.. please reply... thanks- Joe
Thats all i can think to ask for now... Im sure i have

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I will say one thing to your questions, that Chevelle Restoration Guide makes great "fire starting material", if you know what I mean.

Here's an opinion on a couple of your other questions. I would say the TH-400 was not available on anything but a big block, the other engines probably got the TH-350. Dual exhaust was probably available from the factory on most V8's.

Hope this helps.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
158 Posts
Here are a few things to look for on a true SS.... ss hood, side fender ss396 emblem placement / ss holes that are factory, not drilled / no crome strip along the bottom of the fenders, doors / ss strip on the dash / 12 bolt rear end / rear end control arm supports (metal PCs that bolt to the U&L control arms) / power disk brakes w/diverter valve / ss wheels / ss interior emblems (door pannells,stering wheel ect)...

you can also look for holes on the fenders where the 350 emblems would have ben that have ben filled as well as the bottom crome strip holes, if it is original ss parts there will be no holes

as far as ss stripes on the elkies, i am sure they were optional but maybe someone elce can say definately, but i know they were decals not painted from the factory and they were side stripes not hood/deck style...

the F41 package was avail. on the elkies and that was the sway bar/boxed control arm susp. upgrade option....

the turbo 400 was also avail. in the elkies and it was a SS package trannie....

as far as the colors the only colors that was true SS colors was the macco orange and daytona yellow, and i am 99% sure they were avail. on the SS elkies as well as the chevells, but somebody back me up here....

the SS elkies had the same exhaust tips that the ss cars had....

------------------

$$$$ How Fast Do You Want To Go??? $$$$

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Someone back him up on this stuff? I agree with everythign but the exhaust part... a few people told me that the elky didnt have the tips, and that the exhause origianlly "turned down" somewhere behind the rear wheels... could they maybe have come both ways? Early cars vs late cars perhaps?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, i was just reading the link on your site MyHot69, and according to it, F41 suspension and rear sway bar was NOT available on el caminos... someone else have any input to this?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don, i agree with you on the resto book, this site is the best place for accurate info... as far as the exhaust goes i just looked through my pics and i belive the exhaust did come out behind the wheels
sorry for the wrong info....

------------------

$$$$ How Fast Do You Want To Go??? $$$$

·
Registered
158 Posts
I know that it says it wasn't avail but i personally belive it was, i have seen several with boxed arms and sway bar setup that were thought to be original items....

Joey B, have you looked for the build sheet?
this will tell it all, if the rats havent beat you to it....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where might i look for it? Its been restored, so unless its well hidden, odds are good it either didnt have one, or someone else already found it, and didnt include it with the car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
if it has already had the interior restored the chances are slim that you will find it but here goes... there is no uniform place they put them, some were in the seat/spring material, some were under the carpet and some were above the gas tank and maybe even behind the door pannells,
the best thing for you to look for is the filled holes in the fenders and doors from the emblem removal if it was cloned, there will a hole in each fender beside and to the rear of each sidelight on the frt fenders from the 350 emblems being removed, if it has all the ss interior and the badges in the correct locations it will verry hard to tell if this is a true ss

·
Registered
88 Posts
this sounds like a question that Dan Carr can answer the best. Take a look at his section on El Caminos, he has a paper that tells the differences between non SS's and real Super Sports.

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
For "myhot69"

You said--"12 bolt rear end / rear end control arm supports (metal PCs that bolt to the U&L control arms) / power disk brakes w/diverter valve" (end of quote).

The presence of a 12 bolt rear end does not verify that it was originally an SS. The SB 350/300 hp cars (RPO L48), also had 12 bolt rears (standard).
The braces that you speak of are not SS equipment either. They are another option.
And the "diverter valve" is part of the smog pump system. There is a proportioning valve on the frame and a metering block just under the master cylinder on cars with PDB. I think most people knew what you meant, I just had to clarify for you.

RPO M40 (TH400 trans), was available as an option with any engine offered in a 1969 Chevelle.
There is no such color as macco. You must be referring to Monaco orange (RPO 72).
Daytona yellow or Monaco orange were NOT available on the El Camino. SS or otherwise. Those two colors were only available on the 135-13600 series.
1969 SS396 el Camino's did not have the chrome (cowbell shaped) tips. They were a part of RPO Z25, but not used on the El Camino as the El Camino exhaust exited behind the rear wheels.

Oh, and one last thing. The "crome strips" are actually not CHROME. They are aluminum moldings.

Nate

------------------
Current collection:
1. 1969 Chevelle S/W SS396 TH400 12 bolt 3:31 Posi PS PDB AC Dual action PW gate Blue/Blk int
2. 1969 Chevelle Malibu 2 dr hdtp All #'s match L48 350/300 TH350 12 bolt 2:56 PS PDB AC Tilt Parchment/butternut (193,000 mi. never apart !) 98% orig car
3. 1969 Chevelle Malibu Convert Light green/Blk int 350 TH350 10 bolt PS PDB AC Buckets/console Pwr top 87,000 orig mi.
4. 1969 El Camino SS396 Cortez/Blk buckets PS PDB PW No-AC TH400 12 bolt 3:31
5. 1969 Nova SS 350/300 M20 3:31 Posi Red/Red Buckets No console PS PDB No-AC 88,000 orig mi.
6. 1970 Camaro RS Z/22 #'s match 350/TH350 PS PDB AC Shadow gray/blk int Orig AM/FM
7. 1971 2 dr Lemans Sport 350/TH350 10 bolt 3:31 PS PDB AC PW buckets (sold my 69 GTO, went into Poncho withdrawals and had to buy this one !).

[This message has been edited by SS3964N8 (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Okay here is one for you. On Sunday July 8th The infant Chevelle club of Oregon had a get-together. At this event was an ALL ORIGINAL (60k miles) 69 SS396 El Camino in Monaco Orange. It is the vehicle that won original survivor class at the Super Chevy Show (in Seattle?) Tophy was laying in the bed of the elky. And it was even a 4spd
So I would say yes you could get an SS El Camino in Orange in 69.

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
My Favorite
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you’ve got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn’t your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash

[This message has been edited by ACE841 (edited 07-13-2001).]

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
As far as I know, All '69 SS Elkys had either Monaco Orange (or Hugger Orange) or Daytona Yellow to identify it (one of several ways)as a true SS. Daytona Yellow having the 76 paint code and Monaco Orange (or Red-Orange in the paint charts) with the 72 paint code. And Elkys did not come standard with the F41 suspension, I believe it was optional. Side stripes could be ordered as an option also.

[This message has been edited by Super70 (edited 07-13-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.