Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Got a quick question about my rear end in my 69 elk.
What other vehicles can i use to get a diff from for my elk, i imagine station wagon of same year,, would chevelle rear end work? any other cars that would work?
I have the 12 bolt non posi in it,
Thanks for any help in advance,
Alan:)

·
Registered
418 Posts
i think you can use a rear from any 68 through 72 GM A-body (i.e. chevelle, cutlass, skylark, gto, el camino, monte carlo, grand prix, wagon, etc. i think when you go from chevy to BOP (buick, olds, pontiac) you need a special U joint. someone please correct me if i'm wrong

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
If you already have a 12 bolt, just convert it to posi. Any reason you want to change? You wont find anything better than what you already have that came with these cars originally.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chev man, thanks for responce, i wasnt sure if the chevelle would be the same, good to know tho, thnx;)
BrettD85, the reason im lookin into a new diff, is i have a nasty clunking noise seems to be coming from rear, not u joints, as i looked today hoping it was.
i dont know if it will be cheaper to try to fix the one i have or just go find an A body rear end, how would i convert my non posi 12 bolt to a posi?? hope no one says weld up spider gears,,lol, i had a friend who did that, and every time he turned a corner, you could hear the tires squeel,,lol not what im lookin to do..
Thanks to both of you for info..;)

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. Now I understand what you mean. I thought you meant the whole rear, not the diff. Why not just buy an eaton? With the costs of going with stock equipment anymore, aftermarket is becoming even cheaper. Do you have to be original? Noone can tell unless they open it up...

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Do you have a 12 bolt in the El Camino? If you do then fix it. You can install an Eaton posi in the housing that you have. The clunk could be several things, but is usually a tooth missing from the ring gear or pinion gear. It could also be a loose cross shaft, which can be dangerous. You need to remove the cover and see what is wrong before you try to drive it.

If you have a 10 bolt then it would be just as well to replace it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brett, Yea i hear ya about the prices,, out of control,,
The few complete rear ends im finding, are 300 and up, and none are local.
Big gear head.. Yea i have the 12bolt in it, non posi,
Good info on the poss cause, i appreciate that info.
Yea im gonna check it out tomorow, it started shaking around 50mph, and clunks when put into drive.
Im sooo missing the days,back when i was like 16,17, end of the 70s,early eightys, that it was cheaper and easier to replace the entire rear end, and there were plenty,,lol, Gotta pay... to play i guess, and its all worth it, no matter how ya look at it..;)
Thanks again for all the help..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts