Chevelles.com banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Nice! I spent the first 2 years of my apprenticeship in the kitchen equip. biz. I gained a huge respect for skilled craftsmen, and probably learned the most in that period than any other....then went on to HVAC and some Arch.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Patch welded, wire wheeled, touched up and proud knocked off some.
Explanation: I wire wheel the weld so I can see any spots I have missed. That's where you can see that I welded after wire wheeling.
That's a lot of spots. And they still let me drive. I use a zip cut disc to knock the proud off. Not worried about the rough lines.The epoxy will stick nicely to the rough surface.

I did hit it with the DA to make a better photo op.

Gonna need Bondo, however, it looks like the pre-stretch helped. Looks like 3/16" at some points, but I'd say 1/8" average, so I will not be planishing it out:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Here's the warpage from my patch combined with whoever else was welding on the car in the past:

A few rounds with the shrinking disc took care of it. I did use a couple of small hits with the slapper also.

After shrinking on the bottom, it looks like this bend pulled in a wee bit more:

Car is off the hoist now, ready to cruise. Sure hope it don't rain all over my bare metal.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Nice! I spent the first 2 years of my apprenticeship in the kitchen equip. biz. I gained a huge respect for skilled craftsmen, and probably learned the most in that period than any other....then went on to HVAC and some Arch.
Right on. I've been in it too long. 41 years.....I'm bored to tears everyday. Six more years until retirement.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Don't over do it at work, let the youngsters do all the heavy lifting..
Got that covered. I don't do do much in the shop anymore except give instruction. I'm in the office 98% of the time, hence the boredom.

·
Premium Member
4,819 Posts
Beautiful fab and welding work, I'll I've ever been able to do with a MIG is make small holes bigger.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Beautiful fab and welding work, I'll I've ever been able to do with a MIG is make small holes bigger.
Thanks.

Looks like what the guys fixing this car did. They got in trouble and even Bondoed over that huge hole.
A piece of aluminum or copper as a backer will get them holes fixed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I went for a "screws cruise" yesterday with my daughter and the guy gave me so much weight in screws, bolts and nuts that the passenger side tire which is under that, now, new full size flange, was rubbing up into it. Damn. I'm wondering if they actually cut that flange away for tire clearance. Nothing would surprise me.
Or.......I installed a 12 bolt rear. Maybe it's wider than the 8.2"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Gentlemen.

Ya, nothing like having solid steel, and proper epoxy primer on top of that, as a base to the project. I'm so glad there were a few rust pit holes behind the rear wheel there. If not, I may have stuck to my plan of just scuffing and painting.

Rod, it would be great if you could make a meet. We kept it at ten this year with two not showing up. We kept our distance and everyone had to wear a mask. 4000 square foot shop so easy to keep one's distance. 3rd weekend of October. Do you have a build thread? And a two door wagon is a project I've always had on my mind. Of course for me, it would have to start out as a four door. ;)
No build thread yet on the wagon, getting back on it this week to epoxy prime, seal, etc. I have been taking pictures to document the car and will put up a thread when i can organize the pictures. What hosting site are you using to keep the pics? I used to used PB and Picasso but new computer and lost some. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No build thread yet on the wagon, getting back on it this week to epoxy prime, seal, etc. I have been taking pictures to document the car and will put up a thread when i can organize the pictures. What hosting site are you using to keep the pics? I used to used PB and Picasso but new computer and lost some. Keep up the good work.

I don't understand why I see guys using photo hosting sites. My pictures are all on my computer. I just drag and drop and it's in the post. Too easy. If your system is too small, get yourseld a nice 2 TB external drive. Drag and drop from that is the same.
Trust no one to host your pics. PB is a prime example.

·
Registered
338 Posts
First post I saw the word "quickie" and thought, yeah sure. So. Cal. or Arizona maybe, but up north that rust really hides well sometimes. Red with black stripes is going to make it all worthwhile though I'm thinking. I stay away from hosting or cloud storage, get held for ransom too easy.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
First post I saw the word "quickie" and thought, yeah sure. So. Cal. or Arizona maybe, but up north that rust really hides well sometimes. Red with black stripes is going to make it all worthwhile though I'm thinking. I stay away from hosting or cloud storage, get held for ransom too easy.
Thanks.
The car is actually in quite good shape, rust wise. There are zero holes in the floor, bed or smuggler's box. The car was born in Fremont CA, and I would imagine spent some of it's life in the south. I picked it up in Tennessee. Then, the seller tells me, when I went to pick it up, that he got it from a dealer in Ohio. What??

However, the dents from poor driving are taking some time to slap and dolly currently. The tailgate is beat up pretty bad, and working on getting the first patch panel to within no more than an 1/8" of Bondo is taking some time. If I frame off later, I will replace both quarter panels and tailgate skin.
And then, dummy me welds up the reverse light and marker light holes before repairing the dented panels adding to the misery.

There is one scary part left, around the windshield/glass/gutters opening. Doors, fender, hoods should be fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
A little video on how easy it is to strip a car.......

Reactions: kmakar

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
More sand in the quarters. Made a slice to remove the bottom section and got an hour glass going on..........

Pretty wavy from collision damage and also self inflicted, from welding marker light patch before fixing collision damage:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I clamped a board across the bottom to keep it stiff. Got out the dollies, slapper and shrinking disc.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'll put the driver's quarter on pause. I had ordered a dolly and spoon set to help tap away at the right quarter patch and tailgate.
I got the first patch under control:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Tailgate ripply as mentioned previously. Of course, after I'm done, I won't show the shiny light as it will only be better, not great.

Gaps off:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
The old body was sore as heck last night so I finished the evening peeling paint off the roof.

I went inside and saw my rear badge staring at me. Got out the Testors paint that my son will not touch and gave the required places some splashes of color. I painted the center part of the badge black because of the pitting. I set it in it's new home and snapped pic. Picture a black SS stripe across the gate.

Needs a second coat. I think the blue is a tinch too dark.

Reactions: 77 cruiser

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
I didn't hit the solder joints with the DA. Cannot have a single grain of sand in the lead or it could cause a mess in the paint job eventually.
I hit it with a file instead. Undercut is fine, epoxy on top with a skim of filler.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts