Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Man, you did a great job! You've got serious skill.
Thanks kmaker.
I've had some great teachers at the different meets I've attended. From Toronto, even all the way down to South Carolina.

Reactions: kmakar

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Oh yeah, hmm, apologies, where was I on the "quickie" paint job?
I wire wheeled the rust off the inner panel, hit it with POR15 and weld thru primer on the edges.

Then, the patch is tacked in place.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I tried to keep the welding as cool as possible, skipping around, but the TIG is brutal, even though everyone on the net says how great is is and how it's so much better than MIG. From what I've seen on the net, guys using MIG and tacking slowly, skipping around have less warpage. It's true that a TIG weld is more pliable, therefore it can be worked/knocked around more without cracking, but hey, if it's not too warped, there is not much planishing of the weld required. Just my .02 cents on the TIG is so much better than MIG argument.

So the point is, while waiting for the welds to cool, I would strip the gate in the meantime. I was just going to weld the reverse light patches and apply a thick monkey dose of Bondo , but I couldn't take it. I just had to take it all off.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What I failed to mention was this. Check out with a bit of heat, I'd say no more than being in hot sunshine:

This piece with jagged edges peeled off with minimal heat, hence the edges how they are:

So, a total strip of the car is required. Oh gawd, did I mention this was a quick paint job? I gotta be cruising by May. Wow.
BTW, the red and grey primer both wipe off with lacquer thinner. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Finished weld:

Minimal Bondo required:

Statement above was a load of BS. Camera angles lie. Here's the real skinny:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The magnet test around the car told me there was collision damage behind the passenger door. I had mentioned to a fella on another site that I would just scuff it for paint, but after peeling the paint so easily, I just had to take a look see.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The clowns left a hole at least 1/2" diameter and Bondo'ed over it. Wow.
I cut out the mess and was able to use the hole to reach inside with a dolly to planish all the shrunken spots from where they attempted to weld the dent puller holes shut. I say attempted because, when I held a light inside, there were pin holes in a bunch of the welds.

An attempt to fix the pin holes:

That didn't work, so:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
All caught up. This was last night's work. The missing bit from the patch panel:

IMG_2543.jpg

I got the big hole patch tacked in place and mostly welded. I tried something I've never tried before. I stretched the edges of the hole and the panel using my hammer and dolly. The thought is I know it will shrink and I cannot planish without cutting a hole on the interior side of the car, whicjh I don't want to do. Not because of originality or strength issues. Just because, I'm lazy that way.
Bolted the bumper back on and installed the taillight in between waiting for tacks to cool, for some cruising this afternoon.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Looks like the deeper you get the more worms come out of the can....
Yep. Never kick the hornet's nest. I'm hoping the magnet test is accurate. The only other spots are at the solder joints on the A pillars......please....please.....be an easy fix.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
You've got some great skill with metal, going to be nice and solid when you finish, and you'll know what you have under the paint (y) (y):)

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are off to a good start. She will be looking good by spring!
All caught up. This was last night's work. The missing bit from the patch panel:

View attachment 696970

View attachment 696971

I got the big hole patch tacked in place and mostly welded. I tried something I've never tried before. I stretched the edges of the hole and the panel using my hammer and dolly. The thought is I know it will shrink and I cannot planish without cutting a hole on the interior side of the car, whicjh I don't want to do. Not because of originality or strength issues. Just because, I'm lazy that way.
Bolted the bumper back on and installed the taillight in between waiting for tacks to cool, for some cruising this afternoon.

View attachment 696972
Nice job Pugsley! I have been following the Chrysler build on the Ontario site. I am in Niagara Falls. I am working on a 65 Chevelle 2 door wagon and have had to do floors, windows, spare tire well and 1 quarter panel (not finished yet). Keep up the good work and hope to get to the metal meet in the future after covid. Rod

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Thanks Gentlemen.

Ya, nothing like having solid steel, and proper epoxy primer on top of that, as a base to the project. I'm so glad there were a few rust pit holes behind the rear wheel there. If not, I may have stuck to my plan of just scuffing and painting.

Rod, it would be great if you could make a meet. We kept it at ten this year with two not showing up. We kept our distance and everyone had to wear a mask. 4000 square foot shop so easy to keep one's distance. 3rd weekend of October. Do you have a build thread? And a two door wagon is a project I've always had on my mind. Of course for me, it would have to start out as a four door. ;)

21 - 40 of 79 Posts