Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter keeps checking out all the SS cars in red with white hood stripes at the cruise nights. After about twenty times, I went "Cloong" inside the old noggin and asked her if she wants CURSE painted red also. She says, "yes, with the white hood stripes". CURSE is my 69 El Camino that, well, is cursed. Everything on the damn thing has given me issues.
But, nothing a new engine, transmission, rear end, rad, blah,,... blah...blah...couldn't fix.

The car was looking pretty good to me, but she wants to show up at the cruise nights looking flashier so I gave in. All except the white hood stripes. They're going to be black, damn it.

As for the quickie paint, as I said, she looks pretty good, a quick sand, epoxy, sealer and single stage. I already knew the corners behind both rear wheels needed some metal when I bought the car. I was planning a frame off anyways after the rod was done in about five years.

So, sounds easy, no?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
That's a real nice car.. I would level it though but if she likes it raked that all that matters..
I wish I had those tail pipes on my 69. I removed thosechrome strips around the wheel wells. They didn't look right to me..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a real nice car.. I would level it though but if she likes it raked that all that matters..
I wish I had those tail pipes on my 69. I removed thosechrome strips around the wheel wells. They didn't look right to me..

View attachment 696868

Nice car.

The rake, she knows nothing about. That won't change unless I do a rotisserie resto.

Reactions: hydro462

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Thank you for the compliment. I just love these cars. They look nice and most importantly they are so much fun to drive.. After re-doing the suspension on my 69, with adjustable control arms, Delrin bushings and a Lee 14:1 30 pound valve box. It's like driving a very powerful go cart. Its low, fast and very nimble...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The first thing required for the "quickie" paint job was to get rid of the huge reverse lights in the tailgate.
I also lost the rear side marker lights so they will match the new fronts I got.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seller disclosed that there was kitty hair Bondo behind the two rear wheels. He didn't mention what a lousy driver the PO was......or the fact that a monkey or two tried to repair it. Almost 1/2" of Bondo in places.

EDIT: Apologies....... That wasn't fair to monkeys.

The small hole as promised by seller:

It's a shame as the metal is quite good on this side.

Marker light welded and checked for fit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started taking off the wheel well moldings and found zero screws going upwards....hmmm......damn, only 1/2" of metal up there.
I grabbed an L angle from my bench and hit the shrinker/stretcher. Made a patch and luckily it was big enough so that I had enough room to add a flat strip to the inside. Just enough space to get it welded.

This pic shows how little flange was left:

New flange tacked in place:

Reactions: Georgia69

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Inner strip welded, weld thru primer and added the rim patch.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And of course in front of that was more rust.........

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I welded 3 sides of the passenger side marker light patch and wowser, what warpage. It's a good job that a dolly can be held in thru the taillight opening. I came back fine after some planishing.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The lower part of the right rear quarter panel had some bubbles in the paint. Yep, rust pits and a repair patch that was done previously just behind the wheel. I ordered up a couple of quality replacement patches:

A little press brake work to tweak it and it came pretty good. Being an inch and a half short at the rear was a drag, but I guess I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Nice write up. You may have been better off just fabbing your own patches up from scratch, the repops leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice write up. You may have been better off just fabbing your own patches up from scratch, the repops leave a lot to be desired.
Thanks.
I'm a sheet metal fabricator by trade and I'll still pay to save a bunch of time. The adjustments took about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, so not bad. The fit was quite good after that. The shape at the wheel well arch is tough to make by hand.

A coupla pics after adjusting:

Here's one of the reasons I found so much Bondo on this side. Overlapping patch. Luckily, the new patch panel went just high enough to cut the whole thing out. If you look carefully on the left, you can just make out the rust holes. Not many, but enough to warrant the complete replacement.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys.

Next was to cut off the rear quarter to see what's up inside.

A real nice sand trap designed by the General:

Here's the kitty hair the seller mentioned:

Removing old metal:

Fit up looking good...........until it comes off and you see the rest o rust...........

Big chunk missing from the corner of the wheelhouse:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Piece by piece to rebuild it slowly.

IMG_2467.jpg

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice job tin knocker.👍👍 HVAC or architectural?

Thanks.
Actually, neither, although I do some architectural at times. I work in stainless steel restaurant equipment. Well, not work, I'm in the office now running the shop.

Funny thing is, When I first needed to make a compound curve in sheet metal, I had zero clue. Bending straight lines my whole life. My Chrysler project has extensive metal shaping work and I had to learn quick. I had to join a metal shaping site to learn from scratch. Gawd bless the internet. I got hooked up with some local guys, one which held metal shaping meets, got enough tips to be able to make a new front clip for the rod. I also went to a few metal shaping meets in the States. Terrific things, the meets. One can learn a lot. The fella here, Ken B., unfortunately passed away at 50. I have been holding the meets up here in Toronto ever since to keep it going.

If you ever get a chance to go to a shaping meet, do it. They are invaluable and I have a feeling they will be dying out soon. All that will be left will be guys charging huge dollars for classes.
Here's a pic of my front clip for the 41 New Yorker project.
She was one ugly car when I bought her.

Stock look:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts