Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to replace my dash pad ! i have a original used green pad to replace the black one thats in the car ! is there a way to change the green color to a black color without it looking tacky or should i just get a repop ? also looking thru ebay at a glance a used original dash pad is 500 - 700 dollars ! :eek: would it be a big mistake to dye the original green one black ?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Ive used the vinyl paint/dye with good success. Its all about the prep work and taking your time. Or you could just buy a repop

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive used the vinyl paint/dye with good success. Its all about the prep work and taking your time. Or you could just buy a repop
if dyeing the green one black and the results are cool ! think i will dye it ! any special brand of dye ?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
i forget the brand but I grab a can at autozone or advance auto parts

·
Registered
160 Posts
My green dash in my 72 was dyed black 25 years ago and it still retained great color. Don't know what dye was used as the gentleman that did the work is no longer around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Think I'd buy a repop. They are already black. Good original dash pads in ANY other color are hard to find, and quite valuable to those looking for their original GM color.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Most likely the green pad would have to be re sprayed the correct green to be show worthy anyway. Just because they are not cracked does not mean that they look factory fresh. If it were mine I would spray it and use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts