Team Chevelle banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Im not going to try to convince you that its a COPO El Camino 4 Speed.
You can believe what you want.
They wrote all options on Firewall on Cars on Assembly Line.
Example on COPOs, S SYC, SPC SYC, 427 425 Special Ordered 427.
There are COPO 427 EL Caminos out there

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
Thanks John
So far no build sheet.
BTW it also is written SYC on Firewall.
Sure sign of bullshit I would think. Nonetheless, build it back to those 427/425 spec's and have fun with it. The bullshit only matters if you're stretching for value anyhow.

DIS-information Age means folks think opinions are somehow fact anymore. Never were , never will be. Its been bad in this hobby before fakebook weaponized it.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Well SYC are Yenko Super Cars. They didnt leave the factory with 427s. They were converted at the Yenko dealership in Cannonsburg Pennsylvania. So how could those cars have left the factory with supercar information written on them. As far as that goes not only did those cars leave the factory with 396 engines installed the factory workers had no idea which of those cars heading to the Yenko dealership were going to be converted and which would be sold to the end user with the 396.
Well ill say this. As a long time member of this site I have seen quite a few of these threads. The common denominator is the person making the "427" or " supercar" claim has absolutely no proof of their claim. Every one of them leaves in a huff making more claims that the members of this site dont know what we are talking about and they know what they have is the real thing. Dont know if they are just butt hurt when they are told they are wrong or they really believe their claims. Not a single one has ever returned here with a shread of evidence to support their claim.
Oh and by the way. I have a documented 69 Chevelle SS and not a single option was written on the firewall. Guess that only applies to supercars instead of just run of the mill Super Sports.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Nikke,
You have been busy. I see you tried to sell this same story on the Yenko site. Seems as though they did not buy it either.
This Kansas built Elco not only doesnt have the "COPO" unique information on the trim tag it doesnt have the widely believed "L" on the trim tag. Looks like its a regular Elco and not even a Super Sport.

Just in case vin number 136809K451009 resurfaces in the future as a rebadged supercar.

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
Nikke,
You have been busy. I see you tried to sell this same story on the Yenko site. Seems as though they did not buy it either.
This Kansas built Elco not only doesnt have the "COPO" unique information on the trim tag it doesnt have the widely believed "L" on the trim tag. Looks like its a regular Elco and not even a Super Sport.

Just in case vin number 136809K451009 resurfaces in the future as a rebadged supercar.
Went back and read almost the whole Yenko link and they link this back to this 2010 Team Chevelle post.
Whether they are talking about the same car IDK but you'll have to read it yourself and make your own decisions

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
Ok i just read that entire 2010 thread. I believe the OP of this thread was saying the car in the 2010 thread may be his car. Well in the 2010 thread the Elco is said to be painted lemans blue but the tag says Turquiose also said to have TWO foot pedals even though the car had an auto trans. The OPs car in this thread had a paint code 53 (glacier blue) and his elco was an automatic ONE pedal.
I think we have waisted enough breath on Nikke. His story isnt even close. But I want to make a couple points. I live and grew up in suburban Pittsburgh. Yenko Chevrolet was about 15 miles from where I grew up. There is a guy that comes to a certain car cruise that I go to that my buddy told me was a mechanic at Yenko during the supercar years.
Next time I see him ill ask about the alleged Yenko Elcos. After all if one cant believe someone that was there who can you believe?
Which brings me to a related point. Some people on this site can back me up. Many people have been the the NOCC show and have heard a Chevelle owner from Maryland put on a seminar. His name is Richard Doyle. Richard worked in the Baltimore assembly plant for 31 years beginning in 1966 IIRC. He speaks in detail about how things were at that plant. His will answer any questions and dispells the rumors about cars built with this and that and things that slipped out of the plant. By and large says it didnt happen. He seems to be a straight shooter and has great recall of the events at that plant. I believe every word he says and just laugh when I here people say it came from the factory that way. Again he was there and lived it.

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
255 Posts
I read through all of the posts/links provided by BLM and 71350SS regarding this subject. Thanks guys, interesting reads.

I really want to believe that there was a COPO EC somewhere out there but reading through everything, there are just too many unanswered questions and unknowns.

I will still hold to my original opinion on this, I really hope that such an animal exists, I just don't think that there is one that can be proven with real life documentation, not some he said, she said, my brothers uncle's mother said, it was written on the firewall BS.

Now back to that 70 LS-6 EC that I was looking at earlier.................... (One that can be proven with real life documentation).

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would be very interested in a COPO EC.........

However, as an EC guy, I have never heard of one at any time. Have owned, rebuilt and sold EC for over 30 years. If such a thing existed I feel pretty sure that I would have heard of one.

While I would be hopeful that such an animal exists, I fear this may be urban legend.......
I have a 71 GMC SP I am restoring..would like to ask a couple of questions if possible. Can you email me at [email protected] when you get a chance?

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
looks like someone used a cutting torch to make the shifter hole bigger?
My 68 had some writing on the firewall BUT is is only a Malibu not and SS or anything Super other than rare as it is still a Malibu 🤣

Looks to be 3694 or B694 I do not have a really clear pic of this and wanted to paint it back. I was glad when I found this....
Looked like it was a paint brush as it had streaks in it... thoughts on what it meant?
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Aircraft Automotive lighting

Reactions: Leadhead

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
Thanks John
So far no build sheet.
BTW it also is written SYC on Firewall.
and that never would happen so.....just because someone wishes it, dont make it real. Just another drag car. Nice Elky though, nothing wrong with it, as shipped. End of transmission.

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
My 68 had some writing on the firewall BUT is is only a Malibu not and SS
View attachment 750236
Some of you may know Richard Doyle. He is a member here I believe but a very rare poster. He also worked at the Baltimore GM plant on the line for 31 years starting in 1966 I believe. I ran into him a couple months ago at the Maryland Chevelle show. Our conversation rolled around to firewall markings. At least at the Baltimore plant he said no Chevelles ever had markings on the firewall. He did say some may have had them on the bare metal but they got painted over at the plant. I figure he would know as he worked as a painter for several years. I don’t take Richard for one that slings the BS. Some will argue this point but I’m inclined to believe Mr Doyle as he was there and for an extended period.
As for the OP of this thread all I can say is some people are born to be full of crap.

Reactions: Capt Casey

·
Premium Member
9,596 Posts
I have a 71 GMC SP I am restoring..would like to ask a couple of questions if possible. Can you email me at [email protected] when you get a chance?
If you need information for your GMC Sprint SP then you really should post your own separate question because the BS is so deep in this one you're chances of getting a good reply are really slim.
Plus the fact that you're working on a GMC Sprint and that makes it even slimmer.You can get some good info by researching the name Dan Carr - as he was the man when it came to the Sprint SP's.(GMC's version of a Super Sport) He restored 2 SP's ( & they came out great). He also made & sold a poster of Chevy's production output of Chevelle & El Camino's from 64 to 72 IIRC (that included the Gmc Sprint)
Good Luck w/ your Sprint.

START A NEW POST !!!

Reactions: 123pugsy
21 - 38 of 38 Posts