Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a rough 69 chevelle ss 396 today. It has a lot of rust but it is matching numbers. The car was built in Atlanta and has been around jacksonville fl since atleast 84. Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Is it complete? I noticed some panels missing. Looks like it has been out in the elements for a while. Plans?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Love the 69's since it was my first car when I turned 16. If you are dead on positive it is factory SS car then its money well spent. Otherwise you may want to get one already done or at least partially done. Hope you are like myself and have a very understanding wife (most of the time). Have fun!!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Well, since you asked:

If you plan to restore this car as a "labor of love" and this is a dream car/project, congratulations.

If not, you're in trouble with this car. The cost of getting this car running again will be well below it's finished value, even if it is a real SS. To some people, this matters. To others, it does not.

If you can not do your own paint, body, interior, and electrical work, you're in for a financial train wreck. If this is the case, you're looking at spending over 50K on a car worth 25K.

Also, if the car been in FLA since 1984, how many hurricanes and flooding do you think it has seen? This does not look like a car that has been stored inside in several decades.

Simply put, the car needs.....everything. If you're OK with that, than go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The chevelle was at a body shop for years the owner passed away and his wife recently sold the car. I paid 3,000 for the car the doors and trunk lid are gone but everything else is there but pretty rough. I tried to turn the motor over but seems stuck. Anyone have suggestions. I'm gonna rip it all apart soon anyways. From what I'm told it came in as a driving car for some rust repair and a paint job and just set out in the weather. I'm divorced so I don't have to worry about the wife thing anymore 😂

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
You might be better off stripping it and selling off the parts and get yourself a project that is in a little better shape. A project like that could turn your bank account into a giant sink hole.

·
Premium Member
12,727 Posts
Randy: I am going to be honest with you. It what is in the pics is what you get you most likely overpaid. Especially if the engine is locked up.
You dont say if you have the ability, time and facilities to do all the body work. That car is not a project for someone that does not posess those skills.
Unfortunately you should of come here with the pics and questions before you bought the car. You will have $50K or more and 5 years into this car to make it fairly presentable. If you have to pay to have all the body work done you could have $50K just in body work and paint. This car needs everything.
I would be inclined to part it out, or put it on ebay and cut your losses.

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
A trunk lid from 68 -72 chevelles and Montes swap out and should be easy to source for cheap. Locally there's 69 loaded doors for 200 bucks. No reason to give up on it just attack each system in order.
Brakes,
Fuel system
Wiring
Soak the cylinders with a mixture of trans fluid and acetone or good penetrating oil.
If I took some of the guys advice here, I wouldn't have a 70 or 66 chevelle. My nova, 64 and 71 and 72 El Camino were pretty far gone, but they all left here driven out of my yard. None of the were painted but I didn't lose a dime on any of them.
Unless you have 25k budgeted for the thing to spend right away, get it running safely first then decide which way you want to go. In the mean time you get to drive a 69 chevelle. Jim

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would be very surprised if you were unable to free the engine. I think it's worth a try before tearing it apart. I would like a project like yours.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Jim - I'm not sure when you did your 64, 71, and 72 Caminoes.....but several things have happened in the past ten years or so: 1) everything has gotten considerably more expensive in the Chevelle Universe, 2) junk yards have been picked clean, 3) OEM stuff is scarce....and expensive, 4) Chinese repop stuff is everywhere, is less desirable than OEM, and not exactly cheap either.

Good, bad, or indifferent.....a car such as this is an even bigger money pit now than it was 10-15 years ago. Fixing this car will take a TON of time and money. There is not much that is usable as I see things.....and I'm not even sure what kind of shape the frame is in. But if the rest of the car is any indication....

IMHO, the time and money spent on this car would be much better served on a more solid starting point.

Regardless, the OP has to be realistic about his skill set, budget, and available time. Better to POSSIBLY cut your losses now than $10-20K and hundreds of man hours into the project. Many of us have been there....and it's no picnic. (Ergo, the Pessimist in me.)

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
Honestly,I can't say the price of admission was cheap but if you have the skill, time, patience and cash to do the majority of the work yourself, go for it.

If you have to farm out stuff and you're a armchair resto expert that buys a ton of parts for it and then does nothing with them, sell it now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A trunk lid from 68 -72 chevelles and Montes swap out and should be easy to source for cheap. Locally there's 69 loaded doors for 200 bucks. No reason to give up on it just attack each system in order.
Brakes,
Fuel system
Wiring
Soak the cylinders with a mixture of trans fluid and acetone or good penetrating oil.
If I took some of the guys advice here, I wouldn't have a 70 or 66 chevelle. My nova, 64 and 71 and 72 El Camino were pretty far gone, but they all left here driven out of my yard. None of the were painted but I didn't lose a dime on any of them.
Unless you have 25k budgeted for the thing to spend right away, get it running safely first then decide which way you want to go. In the mean time you get to drive a 69 chevelle. Jim
Very well said Jim. I'm by no means a professional and I'm restoring 2 69's one started out just as a shell if you shop around you can find the deals. If you wanna drive it next week your gonna pay the money. as far as being upside down when your down don't worry about that unless your doing it as an investment if it's for the love of the hobby who cares you only live once. I'm sure your motor is seized from sitting listen to Jim by using the transmission fluid mix and maybe it will free up Iv done three with 100% success

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'd do more cleaning and investigating before deciding what to do. I've seen worse looking cars restored. Just depends on your skill level and goals for the car. I'd be inclined to try and get it running first. Even if you decide to sell, a running project is worth more than a non-running project. My car was nothing more than a shell with doors and a trunk lid when I started.

Reactions: jaf6738

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
as far as being upside down when your down don't worry about that unless your doing it as an investment if it's for the love of the hobby who cares you only live once.
The more money you lose on Chevelle A, the less money you have for the next one.....or any other hobbies. Or life emergencies. Or anything else.

You work hard for your money. Why be stupid with it?

·
Registered
14,987 Posts
The more money you lose on Chevelle A, the less money you have for the next one.....or any other hobbies. Or life emergencies. Or anything else.

You work hard for your money. Why be stupid with it?
It's all relative, some folks spends thousands chasing a little white ball around a golf course, others spend money on alcohol, some folks spend thousands hunting trophy animals. We have a bad habit of spending money on old cars. There's a real sense of accomplishment the bringing something like this from the dead. Jim

1 - 20 of 39 Posts