Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guy's here's the deal. I am going to go look at this 69 chevelle in a couple of days. The owner of the car doesn't know anything about the car. She got it in a divorce from her husband and now she just wants to get rid of it. I have a 71 chevelle, so I'm not so familiar with the 68 and 69 models. The car is kind rough, but the lady says that the only thing she knows about it is that it has the original 396 motor in it. To have the 396 motor in a 69 chevelle would it have to be an SS? or could the malibu be ordered with the bigger motor?

------------------
Mark "THE DUDE" Skoch
1971 Malibu
(it's gonna be cool someday, really!)

Confucius say "Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day"

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
If it is an original 396, its a SS. If it was an original small block, it can't be a SS. It will also have a 12 bolt, and T400 (unless its a 4 spd). An easy tell if its a T400 is to look for the kick down switch on the gas pedal under the dash. The SS396 was an option on a Malibu. All the trim, etc. came with the option.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I have a 71 and a 69 - the cars wear out in the same places, so you should be ok there to see what shape its in. Note that the VIN does positively indicate whether it is an SS car. Things to look for on an SS car:
-disk brakes (there should be a small valve mounted to the booster below/side of the M/C)
-'double hump' hood
-original paint that was orange or yellow

Note that the car does not require a tach/guages to be an SS, and 300 deluxes could also be SS cars. Good Luck.
Ron

------------------
Bow_Tied
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396/ 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back."
TC Member#1276 [email protected]

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually, a '69 Canadian VIN won't tell if it is a real SS or not either. But the cowl tag would tell on Canadian-built cars (they have "Z15" or "Z25"). "66-'68 SS cars can be identifed by an "8" as the third character in the VIN, but that does not apply to '69-'72.

One last note - there were a few '69 396 Chevelles that did not come with the SS package. Probably less than 150. I have a copy of a build sheet for one.

My '68-'72 Chevelle production totals poster has more details:
http://www.designscomputed.com/a_body_68_72.html

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I am supposed to look at the car on Thursday so I will let you know what I find out.

------------------
Mark "THE DUDE" Skoch
1971 Malibu
(it's gonna be cool someday, really!)

Confucius say "Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day"

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The SS396 was an option on a Malibu. All the trim, etc. came with the option.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, for 1969 only, the SS could be ordered on any Chevelle such as the Deluxe or the Malibu.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com
Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
"One last note - there were a few '69 396 Chevelles that did not come with the SS package. Probably less than 150. I have a copy of a build sheet for one."

dcarr
please post a picture of this supposed buildsheet. I don't believe it.
The Z25 Option was the SS396. I don't think there were any factory built 396 non-SS cars.
First of all, how would you order it ???????
The 396 engine was only available with the SS option.
Nate

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dcarr:

One last note - there were a few '69 396 Chevelles that did not come with the SS package. Probably less than 150. I have a copy of a build sheet for one.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, Dan, this is one I've never heard of before. Perhaps I should buy your poster
. Could this have been the precursor to the seldom seen 'Malibu 400' of 1970 - 1972?

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Doing my part to help the disadvantaged - My Chevelle was for sale by a blatant liar. Didn't trust him, so I hired a blind man to inspect it before I bought it."
My low tech web page

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I believe that the few '69 non-SS 396 Chevelles that were built were precursors to the '70 "Malibu 400s", but also I think that they may have been fallout from the COPO program.
The '69 COPO 427 Chevelles had a lot of the SS equipment, but no SS badges. I don't think anyone could have ordered a non-SS '69 396 Chevelle, but some were built. They may have originally been intended to be COPO 427 cars, but not enough COPO orders came in so they were converted. That's just a theory.

Anyway, I will look for that build sheet and scan it. I do remember that it had some interesting options, such as L34 (350hp 396), F40 suspension (not F41), and D88 (side stripes). It definitely did not have "Z15", "Z25", or "ZL3" ("SS-396 Conversion) on it.

------------------
Dan Carr
[email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #11, ACES #701
Author of the GMC Sprint, El Camino, and '68-'72 SS Authentication pages.
See my GM A-body fleet at:
www.rmi.net/~dcarr/cars/cars.HTM

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
I'm really confused now.
The L34 option is a 325 HP.
There are no options Z15 or ZL3 or D88 available on a 1969 Chevelle.
And lastly, the SS396 was not a "conversion" as you say. It was an option (Z25), that was specified before the car was ever built. Chevrolet didn't convert Malibu's and the like to SS396's. An SS396 began life as an SS and was never anything else. The amount of work necessary to "convert" a Malibu to an SS396 would have been so painstaking that I think GM would have gone under trying to do it. There is no way GM would have taken all the Malibu trim off the side of the car, (Not to mention the difference in emblems), and then filled all the holes and repainted the car. I don't think so. Malibu's weren't built and then converted to SS396. This could be a misconception by those who are thinking of the dealer installed 427 conversions. Baldwin, etc.
But then again, maybe I misinterpreted what you meant by "conversion" ??

Had to get that off my chest.
Ahhhhh.....all better now !!
But I won't completely rest until I see an original copy of that non SS 396 buildsheet.
I suspect that this supposed buildsheet that you speak of is nothing more than a Z25 optioned SS396 car build sheet, with the Z25 option listing omitted in error. A typo, if you will !!! I'm sure it happened !!

Nate

[This message has been edited by SS3964N8 (edited 05-31-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SS3964N8 (edited 05-31-2001).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Nate, The 325 hp 396 was RPO L35. 350 hp was L34. RPO Z25 appeared on build sheets for the SS396 equipt option in '69. ZL3 also appeared on the build sheet for Z25 cars but was not an option. I believe it involved preparation work for the body and chassis to receive the SS equipt, badges, etc. Or possibly it was the SS domed hood. The build sheets contain many codes that are not option RPO's. They are required for the assembly line workers to prep the body or chassis and install the correct parts as the car moves down the line. Dan would know more about this.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

[This message has been edited by von (edited 06-01-2001).]

·
Registered
964 Posts
I find this hard to believe.Chevrolet would not build a car and wait for someone to order it.Especially a COPO 427 Chevelle.Any Dealer who ordered a COPO 427 Chevelle had to agree to meet a criteria of ordering a minimum of cars.And was commited to it.
I would be interested in this buildsheet.What is it's date? All COPO Chevelles were built June-July of 1969 and came from the Baltimore Assembly plant.
Also RPO D88 is not a 1969 code.D96 is the side stripe code.F40 suspension is the standard SS code,F41 is the upgrade in 1969.RPO Z15 is a 1970 454 code.So in other words a 1969 buildsheet shouldn't have any of these codes anyway.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.