Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 69 Chevelle Malibu. Father owned it for 30 years and it sat for about 20. When I was moving form Cali to NC I took it from his garage and replaced the engine, trans, diff, and replaced/ repaired everything in the suspension. Runs great. I purchased a new posi carrier to replace the stock lim slip in it now. 8.2in 10 bolt posi. I changed the ring gear over and went to put it in and it didn't fit. Attached is a pic of them both. The ring sits lower on the new carrier. Why? where did I go wrong purchasing the new carrier? What do I need to look for when buying another so I don't have the same problem?

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
There are 3 different carriers that are used depending on the gear ratio. What is the gear ratio and which did posi carrier did you buy?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has 3.08 gears in it now. I don't know the type of posi carrier it is. The ring form the old carrier fit right on the new posi. it just didn't line up in the diff.

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
The spacing for each gear ratio has to be different due to the size of the pinion gear. 3.08 - 3.73 use the same carrier. It appears the ring gear has been move towards the pinion gear so you may have a 4 series carrier. What was the brand and part number you purchased?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know the brand or part number off the top of my head. I will have to look at it when I get home. But what you are saying makes since. If I had 4.11 gears in the spacing would be right. So I need to ensure I get a carrier that is made for 3.08 gears. Or I can go the cheaper route and buy a different ring and pinion with the right gears. The only bad thing about that is I am using a th350 transmission and 3 speed with 4.11 is horrible on gas. It had a 12 bolt rearend with 4.11 gears when I got the car. I replaced it with the 3.08 lim slip. im trying to find a happy medium with 3.08 and posi.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle.....:waving:

·
Administrator
17,083 Posts
Here's the dimension of the flange for the different series carriers

Here's the carrier (Eaton) breaks too:
12 bolt ED32088 2 2.73:1 & down
12 bolt
30140PM1 3 3.08:1 to 3.73:1
12 bolt
EDB30174 4 3.90:1 & up

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is why I love the 9", no carrier break to worry about. :) Hopefully you can return the carrier for the correct one to mate up with your chosen gear set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
The '64-'71 Chevy 8.2 only has a 2 and 3 series differential. There is no 4 series for this rear end. You started off with a 2 series and now you have a 3 series. You need to check the gear ratio. I think you have a 2.73 instead of a 3.08.

Limited slip and "posi" are the same thing. What you had before is a standard or "open" differential, not limited slip.

Mike, that picture that you posted is for the 12 bolt, not the 10 bolt.

·
Administrator
17,083 Posts
Missed the 10 bolt part as I went by the second post about 3 carriers available.
Thanks Freddie.
Here's the 8.2 breaks and flange dims:
GM 8.2″
2.73 & Down 1.615″
3.08 & Up 2.00″

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is no returning the carrier it was purchased on craigslist before I learned about the different spacing for the different gear ratios. I will try to sell it again on craigslist. got it for 300 hopefully I can get the same out of it. I am positive that its a 3.08 gear ratio. I will just have to find a more expensive carrier on ebay or some other site that confirms the spacing of the carrier. Thanks for all of the advice. I have a couple other problems that are stumping me on this car. I will post a new thread for those. Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
There is no returning the carrier it was purchased on craigslist before I learned about the different spacing for the different gear ratios. I will try to sell it again on craigslist. got it for 300 hopefully I can get the same out of it. I am positive that its a 3.08 gear ratio. I will just have to find a more expensive carrier on ebay or some other site that confirms the spacing of the carrier. Thanks for all of the advice. I have a couple other problems that are stumping me on this car. I will post a new thread for those. Thanks to all.
The carrier on the left in your photo is definitely a 2-series carrier! What is the stamped code on the front of the passenger side axle tube? You can also cross reference the p/n's on the gears to see what you have or count the teeth on each gear and divide the ring gear by the pinion. Just a couple of thoughts.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
There are no after market 2 series differentials for the 8.2 10 bolt. If you need a 2 series, and it seems that you do, then you are going to have to find a used original Eaton Posi in a 2 series. These are very rare and finding one is going to be hard. You can install a lock right in your original standard 2 series differential case, but otherwise you are probably out of luck.

I still think you have a 2.73 gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts