Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a continuation of my forward lamp harness fire and meltdown saga. Two questions:

1) I need a new horn relay...are they still avaliable through GM? If not, who carries the best quality reproduction/aftermarket unit?

2) The horn relay takes three plugs on the bottom side. Which ones goes where? The three one-wire plugs are a) the one to the horns, obviously, b) a black wire, and c) a red wire with a black stripe.

I ordered new engine and forward lamp harnesses from M&H, and they are perfect, I highly recommend them. They may not suit a 100pt restoration, because the headlamp connectors are clear (which I don't think is correct) but as far as functionality they are wonderful.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
1) I need a new horn relay...are they still avaliable through GM? If not, who carries the best quality reproduction/aftermarket unit?

I can't answer if GM still sells them. Never had an occasion to look for a GM relay. Suspect that there is only one or two people producing these. One person to ask what's out there is Dick at True Connections. Sure, he would like to sell one but usually good about answering questions first.

2) The horn relay takes three plugs on the bottom side. Which ones goes where? The three one-wire plugs are a) the one to the horns, obviously, b) a black wire, and c) a red wire with a black stripe.

Thought the connectors were keyed or oriented so that only the correct one would plug into the proper place. Red is 12 volts, Green is horns, Black is horn button.

"They may not suit a 100pt restoration, because the headlamp connectors are clear.."

Could probably change the connector shell by releasing the pins and slipping the proper color shell on it. Too much work for me.
www.true-connections.com

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mike You've got mail... I bought a horn relay from Advanced Auto, it was made by Sorenson. Strange thing was it had all the same P/N's & stampings that my new AC/DELCO had on it. Only Difference was $12.00 vs. $62.00.

Needless to say the AC/DELCO went back...

The pins are numbered on bottom 1,2,3,4.

I will find out what they are tonight if you need them. I just can't remember here....

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

1 - 3 of 3 Posts