Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone,
I'm still finishing up restoring my 69 SS 396 and finally placed all the emblems on the body yesterday. Fender SS & 396 emblems were a bear to install going through the wheel wells to place the back side fasteners... Anyway, I seem to have an extra hole to the left-center of the Chevelle and above-left of the By Chevrolet emblems. Any ideas?
The car is an ATL built SS, w/ documentation complete frame off restoration that I purchased after the body work and paint were complete. The corroded OE emblems fit the other holes in the header panels perfectly, and the shiny repro's were off just a hair but could be finagled into position without too much distortion which tells me the OE emblems were on the car at some point.
I searched before I posted :thumbsup: and can only come up with these possibilities. Could there have been some sort of dealer badge or other badging placed there at some point, now MIA? Maybe and Elky header panel that was modified to accept the OE Chevelle emblems?
Just trying to figure out whether to fill the hole or try to replace the missing item. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Best Regards,
Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,579 Posts
:cool: Doubtless, Dean is correct. However, if that "By Chevrolet" emblem is installed (and not just sitting on the header panel), its holes are in the wrong location... and therefore the others holes in the header panel could also be placed incorrectly. The "Chevelle" emblem you want on the header panel is the same as that used in the 1968 model year (Chevy added the "By Chevrolet" emblem for '69). Since the '69 trunk lid emblem has the "By Chevrolet" emblem attached, what you may have is a '68 "Chevelle" Tail Cove emblem (it looks the same, font-wise, but is a slightly smaller emblem)...

Here's what you need: http://www.ss396.com/chevelle/TT-1260.html

Every chance I get I like to pontificate for the use of modern double back Emblem Tape. With emblem tape there are no holes in your sheetmetal! That's a great thing because holes in the wrong place are a b!tch to fix.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all very much for the great info. Not to confuse the situation further, but the one piece Chevelle w/ By Chevrolet fit the holes in the factory deck lid perfect and the assembly manual detail shows the 2 piece installed on the header panel. Hard to argue w/ Dean's photos though. I wonder if there was some variability in what emblems were installed between plants, based on what emblems were left in the bins, or who was installing them and/or what drugs they were doing in 69?
I'm just sayin'
Bruce

1 - 7 of 7 Posts