Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A co-worker has owned a 69 RS Camaro for 24 years. 350/M-20/10 bolt posi., 15" Rally wheels. I have never seen the car but a friend of mine has. It is supposed to be a pretty solid car with minimal rust. Runs and drives, funky 80's interior (velvet seat inserts etc.), mildly built 350. People have been trying to buy it from him for years but he would not part with it for sentimental reasons. Finally he caved in and had been offered $5000 and was ready to accept the offer until I spoke with him. Is a decent 69 RS worth the $7000 cash I am thinking of offering him? Of course I will inspect the car closely to make sure it is not going to be too much of a money pit. 69 Camaro with a 4-gear sounds pretty promising to me. I'll post pics when I can. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
$7,500 is stealing it if it's a complete driver, Offer $6,000 & see if he bites. Take cash - Money talks, BS walks. (if the car is solid)

LK

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called my friend that has seen the car and he says "buy that #%&!$ car right now or I will!". Blue with white stripes, cowl hood, 15x7 rally wheels, all the RS stuff is there, headlight covers even work. Easy restoration according to my buddy or clean it up and drive it. I will look at it Saturday and take cash with me. A 69 RS Camaro to sit beside my 69 SS396 will look pretty cool in my shop.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Buy it!! good luck, and post pics when you do!! I'm filling up the car to drive to SK if you dont want it!hahaha!!

ak

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Good luck, Just give the guy the mininum that will keep him happy, Clean it & drive that sucker. Post som pics when you get it home. Dang, Why don't these deals ever come my way? I mean, 69 camaro is just the most popular car out there, No biggie. :D

LK

·
Registered
473 Posts
Be careful to check all sub frame bolted connections, everywhere the body bolts on. Many sections actually bolt into the suspension (shock mounts, & the front part of the leaf spring connectors). I had a 67 for several years and the more I got under it, the worse it looked. Those camaros frames can fall apart a lot easier than a chevelle, might be cause they only have 1/2 of a frame to begin with. Good Luck.

·
Registered
910 Posts
A co-worker has owned a 69 RS Camaro for 24 years. 350/M-20/10 bolt posi., 15" Rally wheels. I have never seen the car but a friend of mine has. It is supposed to be a pretty solid car with minimal rust. Runs and drives, funky 80's interior (velvet seat inserts etc.), mildly built 350. People have been trying to buy it from him for years but he would not part with it for sentimental reasons. Finally he caved in and had been offered $5000 and was ready to accept the offer until I spoke with him. Is a decent 69 RS worth the $7000 cash I am thinking of offering him? Of course I will inspect the car closely to make sure it is not going to be too much of a money pit. 69 Camaro with a 4-gear sounds pretty promising to me. I'll post pics when I can. Thanks.
DUDE!!! 7K would be highway robbery for a running 69 Camaro, PERIOD! The fact that it is an RS, a 4 speed and complete in running and driving condition makes it worth much more than that! Probably more in the 10K-12K range depending on condition like CamaroFreak said! Go over to the Camaro board and ask this question and you will get similar responses like mine! Get that thing in your garage ASAP or somebody else definitely will!!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I went and checked out the 69 RS this morning. Very solid car, good floors, good trunk, Fenders are perfect, some bondo in lower 1/4's but car was painted 20+ years ago and no rust is showing. Brand new tires, engine was built by a very reputable local guy about 5000 miles ago, clutch was done at the same time. Excellent trim/emblems. Interior has to go! Lots of rodent damage. That will be the first thing I do. Some bubbling on lower door skins. The doors and trunk close like as if the car was new. A few days work and this thing will be a very nice driver. We tried starting it but it's not getting any fuel. Fuel pump NFG from sitting for so long I assume. Was running a few months ago. Closed the deal and my buddy and I will pick it up tomorrow. Heres a few pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At last I have gotten a good deal on something. About &%*&^$ time! And to think he had it pretty well sold for $5000. Interestingly, the fellow who built the motor in my Camaro has a 69SS396 Chevelle with a dealer installed L-72 427, aluminum heads, M-22, 410:1 rear that he bought new in 1969.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
now you`ll have to spend some time over at
www.teamcamaro.com

my user name over there is 71maligreen
here is my 68 i got last fall with 73,000 on the clock and all original motor/trans 95% rustfree but sat in old ladys heated garage scince 89 with 20 cats, changed the oil and anti free. and fuel and she fired right up!!! i paid 9200.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Nice looking car, Better with a good cleanup. What did you end up getting it for?

LK

·
Registered
910 Posts
Man I am glad you got it! It looks nicer than mine so I think you got a helluva deal, enjoy your new toy!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice looking car, Better with a good cleanup. What did you end up getting it for?

LK
$7000 cash. Now I have to start ordering parts! I will do the entire interior right away to get rid if the mice and velvet. WTF were people thinking back then? I will change out the fuel pump and filter. I should pull the tank off and flush it also. Never know what kind of crap is sitting in the bottom of the gas tank after 40 years.

·
Registered
910 Posts
$7000 cash. Now I have to start ordering parts! I will do the entire interior right away to get rid if the mice and velvet. WTF were people thinking back then? I will change out the fuel pump and filter. I should pull the tank off and flush it also. Never know what kind of crap is sitting in the bottom of the gas tank after 40 years.
I know what you mean about the interior, gotta love the 70's! I bought one of my cars that was gold ext/int. but had red velour upholstery on the seats! :confused: The guy that owned it was honestly color blind and it looked fine to him because he just wanted to get rid of the hot/cold vinyl seat material! They were actually more pink than red when I got the car because they had been on there for 20-30 years, I am not even sure you can imagine how bad that looked! As I said before, you got a great deal on that Camaro!:beers: As for the gas tank, I was just going to buy a new tank and sending unit from www.Rockauto.com and be done with it. Their prices are great and you do not have to mess with an old crusty tank! Have fun with the car!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You did good, Got it home yet?

LK
Not yet. My buddy and I are going to pick it up with his car hauler this afternoon. I already have a perfect dash pad my buddy sold me ($20!!) and my FIL has a tilt steering column with rosewood wheel that he will let go cheap. Once it's home I'll survey the interior and make a list. It needs pretty much all the interior except the headliner, unless I want to put up with the velvet and mouse crap. The FIL even has a complete power window setup for a 69 with motors, harnesses etc. that I can get cheap if I want to go that route. My Chevelle has p/w, locks and tilt (original) so it would be cool to have the same in my Camaro. The FIL even has a L-78 out of a 69SS Chevelle that he has had for years and is hinting at selling to his favourite son-in-law. But for now I will concentrate on getting the 350 running well and the interior re-done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts