Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 69 396/325HP Camaro single snorkle air cleaner assembly for sale. It looks identicle to the 69 325HP Chevelle assemly with the exception of the lid being black instead of chrome. The seller said there was no GM part number stamped in the base.

My question is, are these two assemblies the same except for the chrome lid, and if so, can I just swap the black lid with a standard chrome open element lid and have it be correct?

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Although the single snorkel air cleaner was used on Chevelles with 396-325 and open-element on all higher horsepower engines, I'd be sceptical of the use of single snorkels on big block Camaros (they all used open element in '69). Without the chrome lid I'd say it is for a full-sized Chevy (only SS427 got a chrome lid). In '69 the snorkel was lengthend over the '68 version, and the snorkel no longer pointed out 90 degrees but more like 45. The '69 version also was angled down significantly.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
If it is in the correct orientation in that photo, then my guess is that it's for a 66 or 67 full size car, with the snorkel pointing toward the drivers side. Does not look like a Camaro item to me.

------------------
Bill Pritchard
69 SS396 Convertible
"Doing my part to help the disadvantaged - My Chevelle was for sale by a blatant liar. Didn't trust him, so I hired a blind man to inspect it before I bought it."
My low tech web page

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
I think Bill's on the money here (Bills? Money?
). Sure looks like the factory air cleaner that's on my '66 396/325 Impala.

There's a picture of it in my link.

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

[This message has been edited by ss3964spd (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Confusion strikes!

Micky396 has photo's of a restored 396/325 with the snorkle shown longer and pointed to the passenger. Bill's referance suggests the same.

The Chevelle SS restoration guide (Herd) shows photo's of a 66 and 67 396/325 with the snorkle pointed to the drivers side as depicted in the e-bay item and says the 68-69 is similar.

I'm wishing I wouldn't have found out the open element was incorrect

------------------

Check out my 69 SS 396

See the Inprocess Engine bay Restoration

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't think this air cleaner is correct for a '69 396/325HP Chevelle. Should have a nipple for the crankcase vent hose slightly clockwise from the snorkle. In addition, if your car has an auto tranny, then a correct air cleaner will also have a thermac (heat valve) and a connection for a heat tube to the right exhaust manifold heat stove.

'69 Chevrolet Service Parts Catalog shows:
'69 Chevelle 396/325HP Auto - 6484589
'69 Chevelle 396/325HP Manual - 6484590
'69 Camaro 396 W/O Duct Hood - 6485235
------------------
Fred Aldrich
The Chevelle Engineer
Web Site: www.CoreComm.net/~faldrich

[This message has been edited by Fred Aldrich (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Fred, Maybe you can help settle a discussion recently here in Chevelle Tech 2001. It was regarding '69 Chevelle L34 396, 350 hp air cleaners. Someone was sure they came with snorkel type air cleaners. Others including me believe they came with open element air cleaners identical to L78 engines. Can you shed any light on this? Maybe part numbers.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
368 Posts
Von,
'69 L34 350HP and L78 375HP both came with a 6423907 open element air cleaner, according to the Factory Assembly Manual.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I recommend getting a picture of the correct air-cleaner and taking it to a swap meet. I see at least two or three of these per year at swap meets and one or two on ebay. Prices range from $75 -$150. As Fred said, you need the air pick-up on the snorkel for automatic and just a plain snorkel for a manual transmission. Almost all of them will need the lid rechromed. The lid should have 6 dimples surrounding the hole for the carb stud and wingnut. Most car enthusiasts interested in performance will not want the closed element air-cleaner on their car, my 69 SS 325hp definitely performs better with an open element vs closed element air-cleaner.

Paragon reproductions sells a repop lid, that is identical except that it has 4 dimples in the center vs the correct 6. The lids were used on other GM cars from the late 60's / early 70's but were usually painted.

Jim Osborn reproductions made the correct stickers (automatic trans vs manual) for the closed element as of about 4 years ago. I sent him documentation and pictures of originals and he did reproduce them. The part numbers Fred mentioned earlier are on those stickers (these are the "keep you GM car all GM" stickers).

If you don't need this part immediately, hold out and you will eventually find one at a reasonable price. Lid rechoming costs anywhere from $50 to $100. The original chrome on these lids was nothing to brag about. Usually quite grainy.

Hope this helps.

Woj

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
That air cleaner on e-bay is a '65 - '67 item. It would have a chrome lid when used on a Chevelle. The correct chrome lid was used on many different air cleaner bases, including (I believe) the '70 - '72 Z28 & L48 'vettes with dual snorkels and no Thermac. That one is being reproduced.

[This message has been edited by Cam (edited 05-31-2001).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.