Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Where is the best quality for the money a guy can get his bumpers straighten and recromed for a 69SS or who do ya'll trust.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i'm in the market for the same thing in the detroit mich. area. caution, i understand the inport bumpers that are available are thin and not the quality you may expect. check the search area at the opening page there have been some good q/a about rechroming. good luck

------------------

·
Registered
131 Posts
Try these guys.
www.desertdogautoparts.com
I have delt with them on some body parts and they are OK. See my posting on them on 9/14/99.
Let me know what you do and how your bumpers turnout, I have 3 that need it.

[This message has been edited by Hunter (edited 09-24-99).]

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have heard of a place in Minnesota that does rechroming and I cannot come up with a name off hand (something like Weststar or Northstar). An automotive parts company nearby named Keystone gets their bumpers rechromed there and I have never seen better quality yet. They charge $275 for straightening and rechroming, and the chrome is lifetime warranted.

I can tell you from first hand experience not to use the Bumper Boyz. I gave them a mint core rear bumper (light rust on the back and no dents) for my 69 Chevelle and what I got back was one that had no less than 2000 hits from the back to straighten it. I returned it and got one that was slightly better, but the mint one I gave them was long gone. When I turned in the nice original core, they (one of the owners and an employee) swore that they would engrave my name and invoice number on back of the bumper and I would be guaranteed of getting the original one back. NOT TRUE. Neither of the ones sent to me had a name or invoice number on them. It is too bad because they do nice chroming, but never trust them. After going round and round with them and getting nowhere, I feel this warning is warranted.

My final word of advice is to take your bumper to someone you know and trust and to get some sort of guarantee on the work. Make sure you pay with a credit card so you can dispute the payment if you get a raw deal. Hope this doesn't scare you, but be cautious. Good Luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Try Advanced Plating here in Nashville.
615-227-6900 Tom or Carl
615-3137147 Steve
They are car people and do really good work.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Depends on what part of the country you live in. A friend of mine had 68 Chevelle bumpers and door handles replated here in ABQ NM. I had my '70 BB valve covers and front bumper extensions done by them also. Duke City Bumper Supply Inc. 505-884-2183

This company did an absolute great job on the replating. Costs for replating Chevelle bumpers are about $180 ea. May cost more if you need some dents removed. Price can possibly include any straightening depending upon the condition they are in. Of course shipping things like bumpers can be quite expensive so it may be cost prohibitive for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I used United Plating in St. Louis to do my front and back bumper on my 1969 and they look great. I will send my 68 bumpers to them as well. Good luck

[email protected]
1969 Chevelle Malibu, Custom Aqua/Black
1968 Chevelle Malibu Pro-Street

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.