Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I picked up one of these yesterday, intending to put it in my 70 SS. It's in really nice shape, and all the important wiring is there. Will it fit OK in my 70 SS dash? I prefer the 69 radio because it has that cool blue light.
What is market value for one of these units?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those are Camaro only units. The blue light radio is the Camaro multiplex unit. As for what it's worth I'm not sure, but my FM doesn't work and I need another one.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, SS wheels
Former Fathom Green '69 Chevelle SS 396 4-speed owner

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, Chris, this one came out of a 69 Caprice. I have seen them in Camaros and Chevelles as well, just not very often.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I read they came in Camaros only. Maybe I can find another one easier
Have you listened to it play with the multiplex? I wonder how it compares to a modern AM FM.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, SS wheels

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Let me explain,

Many model lines shared the SAME radio for certain years, so a blue-lite 1969 AM/FM stereo is CORRECT for a Chevelle.

Models # 91BFM1/91BFM2

I hope you pulled the multiplex adapter box from the car too because your radio will NOT work without it. This is internal dash mounted box with a heat sink and a connecting cord, it allows for FM stereo reception. Connects right to the radio.

Chris-

This is why your radio probably doesn't work, it's missing the FM adapter.

As for sound, sounds just like a modern stereo radio (some would say better) all "MULTIPLEX" means is more than one, as in stereo 2 channels. The original radios were wired in a manner so the 2 stereo channels were criss-crossed LF RR and RF LR for a very pleasing rich stereo sound.

Hope this helps.

Joe

-auto radio repair tech
-currently building Team Chevelle's radio info web pages

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 02-14-2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Coppertop, I hoped you'd post.

I did pull the extra amplifier out of the car. What a pain. Although that was the last thing on my mind after discovering one of these stereos *in* the car after 30 years! So, I got everything -- the entire wiring harness, speakers, etc. I'm going to grab a DC power supply so I can test the unit out. It sure looks clean, and since it had never been removed from the car, I'm hoping that it still works. It'll be so cool to have a radio that looks factory but peforms adequately for today's radio broadcasts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Coppertop thanks for setting me straight. I'll check it out when the car gets back from a new clutch. The search for parts never ends.

------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.