Team Chevelle banner

69 Auto Console Wiring

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MikeN 
#1 ·
I am converting my column shift auto car to a factory floorshift/console. The used console I got from Hinshaw's Chevelle Parts (nice folks by the way) came with a new console wiring harness. My used floor shifter also has the neutral safety and backup light switches.

I can see that two 10ga Purple wires from the steering column need to be extended to the new harness for the neutral safety switch. I also see 16-or 18ga Dk Green and Lt Green wires go from the column to the new harness for the reverse lights. The new harness has a black wire with a ring connection on the end that I assume to be the ground wire. The harness has two wires with bulb adapters for the shift indicator and courtest lights.

My questions are, what in the heck are the Orange and White wires in the console harness that have some sort of weird metal clip on the ends? And what is the Gray wire for, power for the bulbs maybe?

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't give you all the specifics, but the orange wire has +12 volts all the time. This is apart of the "dome" or coutesy light circuit. The white wire is it's partner. This wire "sees" ground when you open a door, or rotate the headlamp switch to make the dome light come on. These wires feed the little light in the rear of the console as a courtesy to your rear passengers. It works with the dome light.

The grey should be your night time illumination circuit--makes the shift indicator light up by tapping off of the dash light circuit.

#3 ·
So I can just splice into one of the dash light wires, connect to the gray wire, and my shift indicator light will work?

Thanks, this is very helpful.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup

#4 ·
Make sure you have that black wire (that should lead to the metal bulb holders) grounded to a good metal spot. The bulbs will now have a ground. Yes, if you can find a suitable place for a splice, then connect the console grey wire to the tapped-in illumination circuit. Or better yet (to ensure a good connection) Connect a spade connector to the "LPS" (lamps)terminal on the fuse box. This terminal is controlled by the dash light circuit.

*Just had a thought*

Don't '69's have a harness already hanging in the dash in case a console is ordered?? In my '70 assembly manual it shows that (a harness all ready to accept a console plug). Perhaps someone else can chime in. That route would be much simpler, but if not, by carefully doing your own hook-ups it should work okay.

#5 ·
I believe the 69-72 are the same and there should be a plug in the dash to plug the console harness into. Very foggy this morning but I believe the orange/white go to the light mounted in the rear of the console. It should come on when the dome does..

Mike.. I need to come see your car.. and BTW I'm installing my console,shifter..etc right now as well along with the rest of the interior.. so lets compare notes...

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES

[This message has been edited by JodySirmans (edited 06-01-2001).]

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I'll look harder for that harness hanging in the dash, but if it's up there it's not obvious to me.

Jody, yes, we need to get together. I missed you somehow at the Peach State show. I am going to Super Chevy up at Atlanta Dragway on Saturday AM for a couple of hours, and then heading to Augusta for the weekend. I will be at home next weekend though. Are you converting a column shift to a floorshift, or was your car delivered as a floorshift?

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup

#7 ·
Mike

Not all harnesses have the connector for the console lights; it was an optional harness. If the car was to be equipped with a console the correct harness was specified on the build sheet. However many cars got the optional harness even though it was not getting a console. The console harness was a substitute for the non-console harness. Also all gauge dash harnesses have the console light connector. If your car has the connector it will come from the main harness at the same location as the neut safety\back up wires.

As previously stated the gray is for the shifter illumination, and the orange (always hot) and white (grounds at the doors or light switch) are for the light at the rear of the console. A good place to connect these wires are, gray – the radio harness. orange\white- if your car has the optional courtesy lights attach to the orange white wires. or the orange can be connected at the fuse block to a terminal marked BAT (this is where the courtesy lights connect) the white wire can connect to either door switch. Yet another place for the orange \ white will be at the connector for the under carpet ribbon cable. These orange and white wires are for the dome light.

FYI - WWW.shiftworks.com has a 200 4R kit for the console shifter. Looks and functions like factory.

#8 ·
Just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who helped out here. This won't sound like much of an achievement to some of you veteran hotrodders, but I finally found time to finish making up a harness for the console, and it felt great when everything worked properly on the first try. Neutral safety switch, reverse lights, shift indicator lights...everything works great! I have located a floorshift steering column to swap in, so with that completed my column-shift/bench car will look and function like a factory floor-shift/bucket car. Thanks again!

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.