Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, first of all, I will start off by saying i know NOTHING about AC. I have a 69 SS396 factory air car that looks to have everything intact for the most part, but doesnt work. I'd really like to get it in working order if its at all possible without spending a total fortune. I believe the MAIN reason it doenst work is a crack in a stainless steel (or aluminum?) pipe that comes out of the very bottom front of the box on the firewall.. .this pipe make a 90 degree turn out of the box and leads upward to what looks like a valve or something,what is this pipe, and whats it connected to inside the box on the firewall? i think if i could replace this piece and recharge it, it could work, cause everyhting else seems to be there... i know this is vague, but can someone explain what this pipe is, and would an air conditioning shop/garage be able to make this stuff work? Has anyone tried to get an old AC system working before? any luck?

·
Registered
501 Posts
The peice that is cracked is the line going to the evaporator. You should be able to grab a new one stick it in and recharge it and be good if it was working before. The Valve thing you are talking about is the expansion valve. It is very possible to put your AC back together and to have it work good.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
That line is part of the evaporator itself and you will have to replace the entire evap and that means removing that large case that is in the engine comp from the firewall to do so, it will probably be expensive, but a shop could do it, many today probably won't want to mess with it because the car is so old. Maybe someone here that is in your area can recommend a shop.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can you remove that firewall box with the engine in the car? What else is in there bsides the evaporator? what does it look like when i take off the box? can i replace it myself if i had another evaporator? I actaully have the engine out right now and it would be easy access, but im wondering if i could wait and do it later on.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If the motor is out NOW is the time to do this.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.