Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, heres one for you restoration guys... I have always thought that the original SS center caps were always "deeper" dish (the part where the SS sticker goes) than newer GM pieces. However, I have recently found some caps that are the shallower variety on a very original, seemingly unrestored, set of wheels, complete with pits and faded decals that are the shallow variety. Are both correct? Was the deep offset for 70 and the shallow for 69, or vice versa? Was it just 2 separate manufacturers originally? or was my original assumption that only the deeper ones are originals, and the set of shaloow ones i just found really over the counter, later produced pieces that are just prematurely aged? Does anyone know what i'm talking about?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Deep 1/4 caps were the original design GM put on at the factory in 1969 and 1970.
In mid 1976 they came out with a 1/8 deep cap.Probably switched manufacturers or for cost reasons.Today they still sell those caps,but are the 1/8 deep,not 1/4 as the factory intended.
Also the 1969 and early 1970 caps had bolt on retainers,in Dec. 1969 they switched to a spring clip retainer put on at the assembly line.
The deeper are the originals.It sounds like someone replaced those caps with the current shallow from the mid 70's.
This was not uncommon as those spring clip retainer caps did fall off during burnouts,and speed bumps,or even got stolen in parking lots.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've NEVER seen anything but bolt on caps... I dont even know what a spring clip retainer for these caps even looks like... these shallow ones i'm speaking of also have the bolt on caps, as does any i've ever seen NOS or over the counter.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
show me what one looks like... the only caps like this i've ever seen are held on with a metal retainer and 2 1/2" bolts in each cap. That goes for ANY magnum 500 wheel ive seen, even non chevy. Can someone post a pic of an SS cap that has these spring clips? Im curious to see one.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
My car has the original clip on center caps.Mr70 is correct about the 1/4 inch deep caps being original,however I have to disagree about when Chevrolet put the clip on style in production.There is an excellent article in the Chevelle report Sept 99 on the 69-70 SS caps and it is there where I read the cut off for the bolt on style was sometime in March of 70.Hope this helps

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE
My 2000 Z28

·
Registered
638 Posts
My car still has the original spring clip retainers. It's a 3rd week January, Baltimore built car.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 402ci TH400

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barista:
My car still has the original spring clip retainers. It's a 3rd week January, Baltimore built car.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm..Perhaps Baltimore got a jump on things.I just seen a jan Leeds 70ss with the original bolt on caps.

------------------

Dean Ciampi
Team Chevelle Gold #52
Aces #3094 MY LS6 CHEVELLE
My 2000 Z28

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 05D '70 SS 396 came with the clip on kind, and as Mr 70 stated one fell off during a road trip. They soon got replaced by the bolt on kind, as I could not find a replacement for the clip on one. I still have the 3 original clip on ones. Just my $2.
Mitchell

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
The difference is shown on block 91 of the build sheet. You should see 770, 775, or 323. Some are followed by an FJ. Mr70 will likely have the best facts to decifer these.

I believe 775 is deep center with bolt on backs. 770 is for deep center with clip on. I have several Leeds sheets with 775 from September 24, 1969 to April 9, 1970 showing bolt ons.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

[This message has been edited by Rick_Nelson (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
My build sheet shows --775 in box 91. When I bought the car back in '91, it had the "clip on" center caps. Build date was Jan 12, 1970 (01B). Build location was the KC Missouri (Leeds) plant. I'm unsure about the 775 code for bolt-on caps. Could it be the code for the clip-on caps? Let's unravel this mystery....

·
Registered
60 Posts
i've never seen the 'spring clip retainers' either, only the two bolt kind. in fact, last night i bought a couple of new BFGR's, and to speed up the tire changing process, i took the 2 bolts out of the back plate that holds the cap onto the wheel from all the wheels. (they had to be removed for balancing) the bolts were only @1 1/4" long though, not 2 1/2". hhhmmmmmmmmmmm.

details DO make the difference rick,thanks for that precise info @ box #91 on the build sheet. i will be measuring and checking boxes tonight.

man i love this place....

car thoughts,wally

------------------
Astro Blue '70 SS Christmas Chevelle
Build/Born on Date (12D)
4th Week of December,1969

Wally Sowles TC#1448

Smokin' TIRES won't give you cancer.....

·
Registered
638 Posts
My build sheet shows 770 FJ and it got the spring type retainers. This seems right in line with what Rick_Nelson said, (3rd week January, Baltimore). It does sound like the Leeds plant might have been using the bolt-on caps longer than Baltimore. Anyone else have info to verify this?

BTW - Were they really bolts? I remember my first 70 as having screws, (straight, not Phillips head). I haven't seen that car in 24 years so maybe I'm mistaken. Does anyone know for sure?
------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
70 SS 402ci TH400

[This message has been edited by Barista (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a set of YA and AO wheels. The YA came with 1/4" two bolt and the YA have 1/8" two bolt. The YA wheels showed up in later model 70 cars (seen build sheets with them). Both types have the same part number, though the shallow ones, I believe, were missing a stamping or had an extra stamping, not sure which it was.

I've heard of the spring type but haven't seen any.

Francis

------------------
1967 El Camino
1970 El Camino SS/396

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I did some research on wheels and according to my build sheets Leeds went from the YA wheel to the AO sometime shortly after the end of October '69, Baltimore changed sometime after November '69. Interestingly, I have a Freemont sheet from April of 1970 still using the YA wheel.

The spring type of DEEP centers are extremely hard to locate today. I have located NOS snaps with the shallow centers. By complete accident at the Jefferson, WI swap meet this fall, I located 3 complete sets of snap ons that were in excellent shape for cheap. I purchased those as well as a couple of bolt on deep centers. He had many more but the were badly pitted. I won't say what he sold them to me for....

Later that same day I located a man selling 4 YA wheels complete with rings and deep snap on centers. Would you believe this guy swapped his nice deep center snap ons for the set of the bolt ons I had just purchased!
Unfortunately, it's not cheap to get these replated and new decals replaced.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, heres a few more questions... how can you tell if the caps are the spring clip type or the bolt on type if theyre on the car? And if you cant tell without taking a wheel off the car and looking at the backside, does it really make any difference as far as correctness goes? I'd rank that up there with people deparately searching for the correctly dated aluminum intake with the date being the only difference between one or another, and the date is cast on the bottom.

Also, i have recently seen reproduction SS center caps (bolt on type) with the correct 1/4" recessed insert.. has anyone seen these? and is there any way to tell theyre repop? I think these just came out, saw them in carlisle, no name on the box, 4 packaged together complete with retainers, 75.00. Looked as right as right could be to me.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,775 Posts
What is the difference between YA and AO wheels? Is it that the AO wheel is made differently in the center cap area in order to accept snap-on caps?

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.