Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 70 SS 396 El Camino that had a 1969 JI coded motor, which I believe translates to a 69 Camaro or Nova engine. I replaced this with a 1970 rebuilt CE code motor. The engine is complete minus the distributor, was running well with good oil pressure, no smoke, but did have what at the worst was maybe a rod knock, but it also could be something else much more simple. The engine also has one mounting "ear" broken off at the block (see photo), top driver's side. I do not have the broken off part. It also appears that the mounting bolt is still in there. Engine also has a Holley Double Pumper. I want to sell this, but I have *zero* idea of what this is worth.
Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,728 Posts
Unless you find the car that motor was born in, you're looking at scrap value.....me thinks. However, 1969 Camaro guys are known for paying stupid money for OEM 1969 parts....even if they're junk/beat up.

If you're lucky, it MAY never have been bored over. Crank may have value if it hasn't been turned. The motor has a lot working against it......and you'll likely be happy to just get it out of your garage.

Hope I'm wrong........

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
If it codes to a Camaro or Nova you would need to market directly to them. Because of the possible rod knock and damaged mount it's a core, I'd say less than $500 for block and heads if they are correct for the engine. It might make financial sense to sell the intake and carb seperately.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
If it codes to a Camaro or Nova you would need to market directly to them. Because of the possible rod knock and damaged mount it's a core, I'd say less than $500 for block and heads if they are correct for the engine. It might make financial sense to sell the intake and carb seperately.

Steve R
I agree... Unless its a 4-bolt block and/or rectangular port heads, I'd be guessing $500 or so, non-running... And that broken off mounting "ear" would have me step away...

Maybe up to $1000, IF actually running for buyer inspection (but without the rod knock)...

Except for a "correct" resto or budget big block, most people would rather go bigger (454)...

And as for "correct", even if those codes are what a buyer is looking for, they are also probably going to be looking at the assembly date, etc... VIN on the pad? If so, thats another strike, IMO, because if someone looks at the code, they are going to know its not from that car...

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
replacement eng with busted off ear and a knock few hun and run not so bad really! Could only get $100 (yup thats it!) for a perfect cleaned/magged 1970 SS 402 block std bore mint. Was shocked but after trying for 6 mos sure was reality ck. nobody cared it was from a Chevelle....now a #s matching Vette they would have paid crazy money for it cause its somehow special. ooh ahh "a VETTE motor" HAHA. You know what mean

Just feedback I got from my ads thats all.
2 sets of ovals and 1 rect 100 a set tops getting anything for old GM stuff is hard these days you can always start high and go down if youre patient. Good luck. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts