Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just replaced my Quadrajet on my '69 396 with a Holley 4150 750 cfm. The Quadrajet throttle cable seems to be a little too short with the Holley. The pedal hits the floor before the secondaries fully open. Year One tech support said they do not have the '69 396/375 cable. They do show one for 70-72 396/375's and 454. He also said this cable will not work on a '69. He did not know why it would not work. Do any of you know what cable I need to use? Why won't the 70-72 cable fit a '69?

Thanks!

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
12,961 Posts
Jeff,
I think the problem might be the bracket for the cable, not the cable itself. If I remember correctly, the Holley carb bracket was different than the one for the Q-jet. I think it positions the cable further back and allows more travel. I could be wrong but check and see if the part number for the brackets is different.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
The L78 bracket bolts down on the drivers side rear carb hold down stud. There is a small turned down tab on the bracket that fits a hole in the carb. This orients the bracket. The repro bracket we bought this year is slightly different from the original. As for the cable, check with your GM dealer. It is surprising what is still available providing the parts man will go to the effort of looking up the part. Bill could be on the right track as the carb location should be just about the same.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Hello, I have a 69 L89, which is a L78 w/aluminum heads, and the bracket on this car is completely different than the one on my last 350 HP car, if u go to my web site there is a pretty good pic of the motor I think u will be able to see which bracket and how it mounts, if u cant email me and I will take a close up of it tomarrow and send it to u http://www.members.home.net/northern/ look for muscle car site, good luck, L89SEDAN

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jeff;
I have a 68 SS396 that came with a Q-Jet carb. When I switched to a Holley I had the same problem your'e having.
I cut my stock Q-Jet beacket in half, moved the cable end of the bracket back about one inch (test fit it to see how far it needs to be moved to get full throtle), added a small piece of flat steel strap, and welded it back together. With a little file work and some paint it looks and works as good as the original piece. I welded a 1/4x20 nut off center on the underside of the bracket and used an allen head set screw (makes it adjustable) to keep it from turning under full throttle foot pressure.
Mine has been on my car for over four years and 400+ drag strip passes without any problems. GaryR

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'll buy the L78 bracket from Year One and see if it solves my problem.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.