Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Guys, I saw an advertisement for a 1969, SS 396 Chevelle convertible listed with 375 horsepower. I just don't seem to recall having come across one of these before, although I guess there's no reason why there couldn't have been one. My question is simple, "Was there such a car in reality?" You know what I mean, a numbers car from GM? Just curious. Maybe somebody knows or even has one. Thanks R.B.
P.S. list me as another Canadian fully supporting the US

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have never seen one but to my understanding you could order one even with the alum head option, but no AC

Thanks for the Support from the US!!!

------------------

$$$$ How Fast Do You Want To Go??? $$$$

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yes they made those,and they can be found.There are 3 around me locally,and quite worth restoring.
They were more common in 1969 then the 1970 model year.
They are rare as well as desirable.
There are no EXACT numbers as to how many L-78 Convertibles were really produced by Chevrolet.Most guesstimate.
All we know is they are included with the Coupes,300 and Elcamino production number of 9486.Plus 400 more for the Aluminum head option on this same engine.

------------------
Rick Peters
ACES#175
1970 L-78...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes they were avalible,but they are rare.I've only heard of two myself,not sure how many were built.

Thanks for the surport.

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
The guy I sold my L-78 project car to has one including the L-89 aluminum heads(date match the car). It needs a complete resto but its all there. The guy he got it from was having someone restore it, but the guy took it a part and then went out of business so he gave the car back in boxes

------------------
Jeff Angerstein
ACES#841 TCG#158 CECCO #16
68 SS396(BSE454)
68 Pro Street
69 SSRS 396(427) 4spd
87 MC SS

My Chevs
OLD BLUE ([email protected])
(10 second motor in a 14 second chassis)

[This message has been edited by ACE841 (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
One source I have indicates a total of 216 1969 SS convertibles with L78 and 9 with the L89 Aluminum Heads.

Man, would I love to have that L89 convertible

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
84 Posts
My cousin has one that was bought new locally and then wrecked. It's Maroon with a white top white interior, 4-speed.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM,fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1169124&a=8603468
Former Fathom Green '69 Chevelle SS 396 4-speed owner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.