Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 68ss 396 won't start when hot, if I jump it, or wait to cool, it will. someone said another solinoid will fix. is this true? how do i? what do i use?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Are you still running the stock exhaust system..no headers on the car?
Does it jump start every time?
Have you made sure the battery connections are clean and tight?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have big Hooker headers real close to starter. It has happened many times and I always thought I had to let it cool every time. recently I tried jumping it and it worked, it has started with jump the last three times. Battery is tight with new cables. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
Are you still running the stock exhaust system..no headers on the car?
Does it jump start every time?
Have you made sure the battery connections are clean and tight?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Had a brand new 68 with stock exhausts and it would do the same thing on a long trip. The problem is either the solenoid or the wiring to it. If you have a console this could contribute to the problem because the neutral safety switch is in the console so you have extra wiring and connectors for the big purple start wires to go through. Try a new solendoid first. When you replace it add and extra wire to the start terminal and run it up close to the battery + termianl and cap off (wire nut or tape). If the problem happens again you can turn the key to on and touch this extra wire to the + battery terminal and I'll bet it will start. The wire is just a temporary fix until you can find the real culprit. as suggested you could install an external start relay. The extra wire can also be used to bump over your engine (key off) for timing or valve adjustment so it won't be a waisted effort.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John & Steve, Thanks so much for the info, the link you provided spelled it out exactly and this should be easy. Thanks for the help guy's. Dan

·
Registered
5 Posts
JOHN Sometimes with engine r&r the proper gound wires and cable are not reconnected, such as engne to frame and frame to body.Just a guess but you might like to check it

[This message has been edited by ZERO260N3 (edited 06-09-2002).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.