Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 68 malibu with dash indicator lights that I know have an ss gauge package for. The wiring harness that I originally had for the Malibu was in good shape but to my understanding cannot be used for an ss dash for there are no grounds in the harness for the gauges. What has to be done to the Malibu harness in order to make it work with the ss gauges, or is it cheaper and/or better just to bite the bullet and buy a new dash and engine harness?

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
you've got lots of difference's between the idot lite harness & the gauge dash ... not one harness but all three.... under dash -engine -front lite harness's are all different ...oh & sending units on engine also ... take your pick get wirring diagram or break out the check book .. I've done this change over & had good experence with M&H electric Fabicator look at WWW.wiringharness.com

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
68 KMENO, thanks for the info, I can understand the engine and the dash harness being different, but why would the light harness be different. pstonhead

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
charging circut to the amp meter different

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
maybe that anwsers too short .... 68 engine harness doesn't have the charging circut in it ... its in the front lite harness

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Maybe add the 2 wires for the ammeter? Been done on the later years to save a buck.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
good point John..
it's more like 650 bucks by the time he's bought all three harness :eek: you can use the stock harness & just wire in the EXTRA's but... I'm not sure how much experence he has with wirring .... Diagrams for the Factory gauge dash are not avaible so... it makes it kind of hard unless you've Know where & why everything works..buying em is PLUG & PLAY
it kind of defeats the purpose of saving money if he melts down the whole car

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by 68KMENO:
good point John..
it's more like 650 bucks by the time he's bought all three harness :eek: you can use the stock harness & just wire in the EXTRA's but... I'm not sure how much experence he has with wirring .... Diagrams for the Factory gauge dash are not avaible so... it makes it kind of hard unless you've Know where & why everything works..buying em is PLUG & PLAY
it kind of defeats the purpose of saving money if he melts down the whole car
Well, part of the purpose of Team Chevelle is to try and learn a few more things about the car and increase your skill level. You are correct about the skill level of a few people. Spent a few nights emailing back and forth trying to explain how to use a VOM to more than one person. Found out that what I answered didn't make an ounce of sense because first the member needed to learn the basics. Me? I never play with carburetors 'cause I never manage to get them back together.
True, sometimes it's best to bite the bullet and toss something new in there. Especially true when I read how hacked up something is. However, I still remember what it was like to be in school or to be on the young side with extra mouths to feed. Sometimes the bucks are really tight. Do try to balance safety and economics but it can be a coin toss sometimes over the internet. Hard to really see things when all I have is a dumb screen to look at. Maybe I'll figure out how but I doubt it.
At least this is better than working on that report for my boss. It's kinda boring. Somehow I'll get it done in time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys but by the time I monkey with a perfectly good dash and engine harness (the one with warning lights) and "possibly" screw it up, it doesn't make sense. I could bite the bullet buy the three harnesses I need and sell the perfectly good old ones (they are in good condition; not chopped or frayed) along with an instrument pod with a new nos clock and recoup some of the cost. Good plan eh. Pstonhead. :cool:

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
hummmmmmmm thats what I thought I said to start with ;) WWW.wirringharness.com their good people to deal with & have great tech support if you need it
oh their the people who all the repo places buy the harrness from .. might as well go stright to the sorce to buy em !!

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
great .... now all you've got to do is install them ... couple of tips.. take time.. don't rush.. clean & lube all cables & connections ... now would allso be a good time to repaint dash not much left on to remove once you've gone this far remove dash pad & glove box trim thats it ....top of dash is simi flat that area near the vin in front of dash pad .. front under pad is simi gloss as is the glove box & steering collem ... one last note replace all lite bulbs!! they're a pain in ... to replace once its all bach togather ..oh theres a little dimple in fire wall where the oil line is supposed to go be sure to use gromet to insulate... & all that stock insulation materal under the dash .. thats going to do nothing but fall in your eyes .. well you figure out that one :D when alls clean vacumed & painted put back togather...becarful not to over tighten the screws on the dash bezel ... they;re prone to cracking :eek: .. sounds easy
best of luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts