1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Gold Founding Member
4,198 Posts
I thought 1969 was the first year for the Yenko Chevelle.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
"It's a test car,......Detroit set it up, racing a chevy cross country. If I win, it could mean millions for the organization."

...the late great Warren Oates from "two lane blacktop", he was only portraying a liar.

Jerry

·
Registered
239 Posts
I know of 2 that have not been found.Both sold from Courtesey Chevrolet in AZ.One was KK paint code another EE paint code.The EE 68 Harrell 427 Chevelle ended up in Daytona Florida sometime in May/June of 1968.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I know of 2 that have not been found.Both sold from Courtesey Chevrolet in AZ.One was KK paint code another EE paint code.The EE 68 Harrell 427 Chevelle ended up in Daytona Florida sometime in May/June of 1968.
Excuse my ignorance but what was the affiliation between Harrell and yenko and when. I've read that Dick Harrell built cars for yenko and of course Fred Gibb but when was the that partnership? Also, why were the 2 cars you mention sold in AZ when yenko was in PA and Harrell was in illinois? Gibb and Yenko were dealers why would they purcase from another dealer? :confused:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dick was building his own cars in 68 not for Yenko.The chevelle in question has been promoted for years as a Yenko promo car.It's a 396 and noone has ever heard of it that I've spoken to that worked at Yenko.It's always been a story no documentation.

·
Premium Member
7,908 Posts
In '68, Harrell was doing the L72 427 conversion on the L78 automatic COPO Chevy IIs. Ray can speak up. He has the one that he bought new from Dick back then.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
With an asking price of only $30K it sounds like the seller does not believe the story either.

I have not heard of any special built 1968 Yenko Chevelles.

In 1967 when Yenko built the 1967 427 Super Camaros, he hired Dick Harrell to promote them has AHRA legal Super Stock drag cars. Dick Harrell was a big name drag racer who was also well connected to AHRA. DH also had a Performace shop in St Louis area and did the 427 conversion work on some of the 1967 Yenko Super Camaros.

Yenko also sponsored the 1967 DH Camaro Funny Car, the 66 Nova streamliner FC, and one or two 427 Super Stock Camaro drag cars.

In 1968 Harrell built his own street cars, was sponsored by Fred Gibb Chevy, and worked with Gibb on building/selling COPO 396 TH400 Novas and other projects.

here is a thread on the 1968 Harrell Chevelle
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224213&page=2

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Its probably called a "Yenko" because it was sold at the dealership as a new car with no mods.

·
Registered
239 Posts
There is a Yenko sold 1969 L78 Nova SS 4speed car with -- Paint code, car painted dark brown.I believe the current or previous owner put a period correct stinger hood on it after it was restored and sold.Previous owner sold it to Tony L,car sold for lots of $$$$$$$!Someone told me they thought this car sold for Big Bucks because it was the "only" dash dash code Dark Brown 1969 Nova L78 Nova Yenko sold,true? I often wonder why so much value is added to a SS,COPO just because it sold from say Scuncio,Yenko, Van T for example.

·
Registered
148 Posts
"It's a test car,......Detroit set it up, racing a chevy cross country. If I win, it could mean millions for the organization."

...the late great Warren Oates from "two lane blacktop", he was only portraying a liar.

Jerry

Oh man!
I love it! I bust out all of his lies to people that obviously don't know what I am talking about. When people ask me what the heck I just said, I just have to act like I didn't say anything.

My most common one is how I got a job testing jets, and it got so I wasn't getting enough action down on the ground....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts