Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been restoring my 68 SS for 20+ yrs. When I bought this car it had after market sport buckets in it. I found some 67 seats in a shed and spent the time and $$ to bring them back to life. When I removed the seats that the car came with the only Holes and or mounting are along the doors, one threaded hole in the front and 2 threaded holes in the rear where the seats bolt up. Next to the tunnel there is nothing... Should I just buy a set of those strap prefab mounts with the premounted studs and weld it in or is there a better option that would take my car back a little closer to the way it should be? Any opinions would be a big help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts
This is the kit you want to properly install them... should have 4pcs total. One big & one small for each seat.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/amd-407-3466-s

You locate the seat using the inside rear hole in the floor with the outter rear hole in the seat track. This locates the seat inward enough to miss the seatbolt retractor.

If you put both seats in with the one rear position bolted on each side, you can square them up to each other... mark the floor where the brackets go, remove seats and weld the brackets in. Real straight forward.

·
Premium Member
7,786 Posts

The small brackets go under the front/outboard seat track feet.
It winds up being ~1/2" farther forward, and ~1/2"-1" farther in than the front hole in the floor (for the bench seat track).

There is a sticky thread in the interior forum here (thats where i got this pic) but its old, many many pages long, a lot of the photos and links don't work any more and there is some mis-information mixed in. That, along with drawings with different reference points to measure off of... its easy to get confused about the right way to do it.

Forget measuring and reference points. Setting them in place and using the one fixed position I mentioned before on each side, then squaring it all up is by far the easiest way IMO.

Cheers! Any pics of your car to share?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Oh, my words of advice here. Put the outer seat belt retractors on the floor before welding the seat plates in. Check for clearance between door (closed) and bucket seats. Ask me why I would suggest that!!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
Scott, if you used the two piece kit they will rub. With the four piece kit properly installed the seats will not rub the seat belt retractors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
4 Piece Kit?? I,m very capable of pulling this off the second time but in this instance I prefer the 1st, If you know what I mean. Any more advise is appreciated before I let the sparks fly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dan, in your last responce you mentioned a 4 piece kit instead of a two piece. Is there another kit availible other than the one in the pics or am I just misunderstanding?

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
No, that is the "4" piece kit. There is only a 2 or 4 piece.
Just to clarify for future reference... The 2 pc kit ONLY includes the larger, inner bracket. This large bracket is more "generic" than the large bracket included in the 4-piece kit...

The 2 piece kit does NOT include the small bracket/stud for the front-outer mounting position...

Here is the 2 piece set:

Here is the 4 piece set:

BTW, these are both offered by the same supplier.

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
As long as we have gone this far i thought maybe i should mention the following. What i found to be the easiest way to locate where to weld in the brackets is the following.
Mount the small piece for the forward outboard and the the piece for the inboard positions to the seat tracks. Also mount the inboard bracket to the tracks. Then trace with a magic marker the outline of the brackets onto your previously wire brushed floor boards. Then all you have to do is remove the brackets from the seats, line them up with the marks on the floor boards and weld them in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts