Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a 68 Chevelle around here that has SS badging, a 396/auto combo and 12 bolt. I havent looked at this car for about a month or more so i dont remember everything about it. Seems i remember it had front drums and i do for sure remember that the rear control arms were not boxed. The hood was locked and it had a dash pad on it so i couldnt check the vin myself, but my friend said he saw it and it started with 138 so it should be an SS. But the non boxed control arms and no disk brakes is throwing me off. Did all SS's have boxed arms and disks?
By the way... the car is blue with white stripes and has been sitting for a while. $3000
If anyone is interested, i can go look at it again and get more accurate info... so what do you think? is it an SS?

------------------
Jon, 66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, Birthplace of many a Chevelle
Team Chevelle Member #80
members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jon,

You should be able to see the VIN number from the drivers corner of the windshield (lower), on the dash. If starts out with 13837 then it is an SS.
68 was the last year that the SS was it own actual model.
Drum brakes are standard, disk brake were an option, as well as the boxed control arms, as far as I can rember that was part of a handling package.
Unless the owner modified the hood lock, you should be able to open the hood, the latch is directly below the hood, above & behing the grill.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeff, i tried to see the vin number on the dash but there was a dash cover that covered it up.
As fat as the hood is concerned... the previous owner messed up (my opinion)a nice SS hood with hoot pins that have little locks on them now, so i cant open it. I think i will go take a look at it again when i get a chance. If i could get it for $1500 i would take it, but the owner (the car is sitting on the owners uncles lot) wants $3000, but who knows.

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #80

·
Premium Member
15,343 Posts
Jon,

If it is still for sale and you want to pass email me ([email protected]). I wouldn't mind some more details if you can get them. I just missed 2 malibus($350 and $575) Do you think the car would be a driver? As for being an SS my first was bench seat 4spd, drum brakes man steering etc......

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I havent gone back to look at the car again because my friend who has also looked at it told me that the engine has a spun bearing. This is not something i would like to have to deal with.

So Jeff... no i dont think its a driver

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #80

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Jon
, just to let you know about the hood,Hood pins were only available on 70 -72 cowl induction and SS hoods only.
Not sure if you knew that or not.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.