Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what rear seat was put in my 68 SS. I ordered seat covers from YearOne and the cover for the back was (56 inches)3 inches too long for both the top and bottom portions of the seat.The cover won't even fit between the two armrests. The rear seat which I believe is original is only 53 inches as is the space between the two arm rests (with ashtrays) therefore making the seat I have fit very snug on both top and bottom. If anyone could tell me what might be causing this dilemma me and my upholster would greatly appreciate it as I have to pay him for every day I don't find out.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
As far as I know, there are only 2 different seats, one for the HT, and one for the convert, and they may in fact be the same.

Sounds like they sent you the wrong covers.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/~68_chevelle/Chevelle/Info.html
Email: [email protected]
T.C. Gold #6
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Vipe, You may have the type of side panels that are like a convertible, with full length armrests. Does the seat bottom and back sit between full length armrests, or does the seat go all the way to the inner walls with small armrests added on to the walls?
Have you explained this to YO? They should be able to help you. If the rear seat was in fact adapted from another car, your trim shop should be able to tailor the cover to fit.
Hope this helps,
Rich

·
Registered
603 Posts
first of all check the build date of your car. if it is april (some maybe may) it may have came with buick skylark or oldsmobile cutlass seats and door panels. (black interior) also check the
trim plate on the cowl. look for the interior code. if you have black buckets it will read 766. if it has 766-178 it means you have a buick interior in a chevelle. 178 is the code for skylark black buckets.
compare the original pattern too.
basically the chevelle and the skylark have the same front seat frames and different rear seat frames. the chevelle has a wider rear seat frame than the skylark.
the reason that some chevelles had skylark or cutlass seats and door panels was the seat company was on strike and the factory ran out of stock and used what they could get. (also gm a bodies.) my 68 has skylark interior.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.