Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it true that in 68, as i've heard in other years that the low horsepower big blocks had two fuel lines running the length of the body and the high horsepower(375) cars had a single line? i have a 68 that is a true ss, original motor is long gone, but wondering what engine might have been in it at one time, mine has the single fuel line from fron to rear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think, I am not sure if I am correct or not, but I think that the 375HP cars had a larger size fuel line?????????

------------------
1968 SS396 350 HP TURBO 400 4.11 POSI, TUXEDO BLACK
68 Chevelle Post-Future Big Block 4 speed car-Currently being restored.
1979 Chevy Malibu, Restored

·
Registered
88 Posts
from what I have heard, their was a different size fuel line for SS models than the standard versions. I think that the Super Sports had a 5/8" fuel line, versus the standards, which had a 3/8" fuel line.

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> '68 El Camino w/327 Turbo 350, factory PB, PS, PW, cruise control, A/C, gauges.
<LI> Team Chevelle Member #1289
<LI> 1995 Impala SS (I wish it was mine, not my dad's)
[/list]

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
It was my understanding that the fuel lines were 5/16" standard 3/8" for SS. I believe the 325HP had the return line (mine did). Not certain about 350/375HPs.

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane
1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Supporting all car guys, even those with different cars than yours, is what being an enthusiast is all about."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its nice to see more 68 chevelles talked about.I have a 68SS without the org motor in it,and have no idea what motor was in it.I do know that my car has one fuel line in it,3/8.But it has the org T400,and 3.08 posi if that helps.I wish I knew.Hope to start my first resto.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If your SS is an original turbo 400 car, it is either a 325 HP or 350 HP car, as all the 375 HP cars were 4 speeds.

The times are indeed changing. I remember being able to pick up cars and parts (68) cheaper because no one else wanted them. Now I have to pay as much, sometimes more.

Oh, the price we must pay..........I guess it is nice that other people are finally realizing that 68 was the best looking year of them all (HEHE)

Tom

------------------
1968 SS396 350 HP TURBO 400 4.11 POSI, TUXEDO BLACK
68 Chevelle Post-Future Big Block 4 speed car-Currently being restored.
1979 Chevy Malibu, Restored

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you guys 100%
I'm 19 and I absolutely love my '68, I think it is by FAR the best looking Chevelle ever made, and probably the only year I will ever own, I mean, hey, just look at my T.C. name
. My '68 is a Malibu and is being built in the direction of an all out Super Pro competition car, but I love seeing all '68's around, anything from a rare 300 model to a nice Malibu, and I always smile when I see a true '68 SS396
. It's kinda funny when I went looking real seriously for a Chevelle a couple years ago, I got offered a pretty good deal on a '69, and I said "No Thanks, I want a '68", even as close as those two cars are I still like the '68 a lot better, and I hope to see more of them in the coming years, out of people's garages and back yards and back prowling the streets.

Jim(The '68 Malibu guy)

·
Registered
30 Posts
How true,Now if they only made a full quarter panels for the 68 Chevelle, like they do for the 70-72 chevelles.I talked to a guy at Goodmark and he said that GM broken the dies.But is that only in the US.What about the other countries the 68 Chevelle was made? I wish someone knew.To bad,if I had a lot of money to invest to make them.I would not care to make money on the Qs just to see them made.I guess I love the 68 Chevelle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.